Friday 29 January 2016

RECOMMENDED READING: YESTERDAY'S MEN OF TOMORROW - TODAY!

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

I acquired the above dust-jacketed hardback volume the other day, and I'd be remiss in my responsibilities as a blogger of comics-related publications if I didn't heartily recommend it to you.  Simply stated, it's an absolutely thrilling read that I could barely put down (read it in two sittings), and if you haven't already made the acquaintance of this titanic tale, then run straight round to your nearest comics shop (or bookstore) and plonk your pounds on the counter in exchange for a copy.

CHRIS WESTON's art is how comics should be drawn, and MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI's story is compelling and entertaining in equal measure.  Honestly - this is the best collected edition of relatively recent material that I've read in ages. You must, you need to, add this superb contemporary comics classic to your collection immediately.  Should you currently be bereft of funds, sell your wife, your children, or even hawk your mutton for the dosh to buy this book.

Believe me, are you in for a treat!

7 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

I agree with you about Chris Weston, he's amazing. But I have to confess I hold a grudge against The Twelve series, as it was one of the factors which drove me off new mainstream comics way back when. I followed this series when it started knowing that it could fall victim to deadline woes as do most modern series it seems, but when this one fell off the tracks and all but disappeared I was thoroughly disgusted. To leave readers hanging was just so annoying I swore I'd give the damn things up once and for all. And I did. It wasn't the only reason, but it was not insignificant. Pity too as this was a smart series, one which to this day I have not finished.

Rip Off

Kid said...

I was unaware of the deadline problems, Rip, and didn't even know about the series until I was given the book. I can understand how that sort of thing can be annoying, but I found the complete tale extremely compelling. I had an idea where things might be going from an early chapter, but I'm glad to say that it went in an entirely different and surprising direction.

Rip Jagger said...

Yeah. This one had at least a two year split between the eighth issue and the ninth. By the time it got finished I was long gone and didn't pick it up out of a combination of disinterest and disdain. I found I just didn't care. Maybe if I find it cheap somewhere I'll take the gamble and finally get the ending, but part of me thinks I might not be bothered. As I recollect Weston was more than willing to finish the series but the writer walked away for some dang reason.

Rip Off

Kid said...

That's interesting about the writer. I've just taken another look at the book and there's no mention of anyone else being involved in the writing, although it was Chris Weston who wrote 'Spearhead', which is a 'one-off' issue after the final issue of the regular mag. The art is incredibly detailed, with lavishly illustrated backgrounds, and I found myself thinking that some panels looked as if they each had a few days work in them by themselves. I hope you do find a cheap version, Rip, because I'm sure you'd enjoy finishing it.

David S said...

Couldn't agree more, Kid. The Twelve is one of the very few comics I've bought monthly in the past 15 years, and the long delay in the middle was really frustrating at the time. I'd rate it up there with Brubaker and Phillips's Sleeper and Criminal as the best comic published between 2000 and 2010. (I really hate the phrase 'the noughties')

Kid said...

I didn't realize it was that old, to be honest, DS. I thought it went back maybe only a couple of years or so. (I usually read the indicia, but didn't bother on this occasion.) Anyway, I was well-impressed with it.

Kid said...

Rip, I've just been advised that the delay was caused by the writer being seriously ill. Marvel waited while he got better to allow him to finish the series, a fact he was extremely (and publicly) grateful for.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...