Sunday 27 April 2014

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS REVISITED...


Images copyright relevant owner

Many moons back, long before the actual event came about, I was firmly of the opinion that JERRY ORDWAY would be the most obvious choice of artist on WALLY WOOD's T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS should the characters ever be revived.  His style had always reminded me of Wally's so it was a natural conclusion to make as far as I was concerned - and, luckily, DAVID M. SINGER was of the same opinion.

In 1984, DELUXE COMICS secured the superlative services of Jerry (as well as those of GEORGE PEREZ, MURPHY ANDERSONDAVE COCKRUM, STEVE DITKO and others) for their new series of the TOWER COMICS classic characters, before the title fell foul of copyright problems and suspended publication.  As far as I can discern, there were only five issues, so here is a selection of covers and interior pages by various artists to whet your appetite.

Click here for Part Two!










6 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a really good series of comics and I think I still have 4 of these in my loft (missing issue 2) some great artwork in them as you say - just a pity about the law suit from John Carbonaro which sunk the title I think IDW are doing these books now after DC dropped it - Jerry Ordway is an exceptional artist and I would love to see more of his work,I cant recall seeing him doing anything since Lobo in DC revamped Weird Worlds comic and a few one shots a few years ago.

Kid said...

I never followed Lobo, but I liked Jerry Ordway's art in the SHAZAM series he did, McScotty. His website is in my blog list - why not give it a visit? Also, I think there was a collected edition of those Deluxe tales by DC Comics - I'm sure I saw the cover somewhere.

John Pitt said...

Continuing fromy comments in "Burn, Subby, Burn!" - THUNDER Agents ( Tower ) was one of those bought on holiday, so I do remember reading an ish in a caravan in Skeggie, which I got along with Fantasy Masterpieces, MCIC, Marvel Tales and M.F. Enterprise's Captain Marvel - all giant sized for maximum ammount of pages to read! -May '68.

Kid said...

Isn't it great, JP, to sit down with some old comics and let the memories come flooding back? I can almost hear the gulls and smell the sand when I look again at a comic I got on holiday.

Unknown said...

Strangely enough I have similar memories to John re Thunder Agents and holidays, except mine were reading the strips in the Alan Class reprints usually picked up on a Glasgow Fair holiday weekend to Blackpool, I know what you mean I can sometimes recall the smell of candy floss and burgers when I see those Alan Class , Uncanny Tales etc books.

Kid said...

Comics - a window into the fondly-remembered past, McScotty. May it ever be so.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...