Monday 23 May 2016

A & BC BATMAN HAND PUPPET...


Image copyright DC COMICS

Do you remember the 'bat' item shown above? I recall getting a BATMAN hand puppet in Glasgow's KELVIN HALL in the 1960s (and immediately disposing of the disgusting 'confectionary' contained within), but it didn't last long.  Its thin polythene soon creased and shed colour and detail in places.

I also acquired one from a classmate, IAN ROBBIE, in exchange for a small packet of KP salted nuts (which cost tuppence) and (I think) a thru'penny bit.  The deal was struck in the school playground during a break one day, and though I'm now no longer 100% certain which one I got first, thinking about it, I think Robbie's preceded the Kelvin Hall one.  Regardless of the correct sequence of events, neither of them lasted any significant length of time.  

In real life that is, but they lived on in memory to the present day.  I ran into Ian last week, not having seen him in 20-odd years, and we reminisced about that ol' puppet he was persuaded to part  with.  To be honest, I was quite surprised that he even remembered, because in all the time I've known him (over 50 years), I don't think he's ever referred back to it before.

Perhaps one of those nuts lodged in his throat, ensuring that the item he swapped for them likewise lodged in his memory.  (See what I did there?)  Anyone else remember them?  If so, leave a comment in the you-know-where.  (It's good to share, so get typing now.)

10 comments:

moonmando said...

I can still recall the sickly smell of the sweets that were contained within. Lovely nostalgia Kid.

Kid said...

Unfortunately, it wasn't 'sweets', Moony - it was that dreadful stuff which I hate. Loved the puppet 'though. As for 'Robbie' (as we called him), I wonder if he was actually remembering the event itself, or the time I reminded him of it many years ago? Must ask when I see him again.

Phil said...

I remember these too! I thought perhaps it was some sort of fever dream. Glad to see it was real. Just like that time Susanna Hoffs was my girlfriend......

Kid said...

Now if only I knew who Susanna Hoffs is.

Arfon Jones said...


Not the Batman ones but I seem to recall monster variants in the early to mid 80’s I also remember cartoon animals type ones, the paint around the character’s ‘arms’ would eventually come away through over use…

Kid said...

Hi AJ, don't think I saw any of those later ones you mention - I'm only familiar with the Batman one. You could actually wipe off the colour and linework if you rubbed it hard enough (oo-er, missus), such was the poor printing of them.

Phil said...

Lead singer of the Bangles. Here she is age ..56
https://youtu.be/YnCYuB8VO1Q

Phil said...

And here's another. She was about 50 or so at the time of this concert. https://youtu.be/HbJ6Jsy0JfY
When you hear the song you'll know her. Worth a post all by herself.

Kid said...

I've heard the song 'Eternal Flame', Phil, but I don't recall seeing her before. (Women look kinda silly playing guitars like phallic symbols in the way that male 'rock stars' do.)

Kid said...

Having said that, male 'rock stars' look silly doing it too.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...