Friday 13 May 2016

GIL PAGE - R.I.P.


L to R - Dave Hunt, Barrie Tomlinson, and Gil Page.  (From EAGLE Annual 1983)

Saddened to learn (via STEVE HOLLAND's blog) that former managing editor of IPC's Youth Group GIL PAGE passed away a few days ago, aged 79.  Back when IPC were in the process of selling their comics and mags (except for SHOOT!) to the infamous ROBERT MAXWELL, I visited Gil in his KING'S REACH TOWER office one day to arrange a renewal of my ID card, so that I had continued access to my 26th floor desk on my weekly trips to London.

You see, I usually arrived in the city around 6 a.m. and the Youth Group's new offices (IRWIN HOUSE, just along the road) didn't open until 8 or 8.30 a.m.  I'd have had to wander the streets for a couple of hours if Gil hadn't arranged for me to be able to use the Tower as a drop-in point until Irwin House opened for 'business'. Gil was extremely affable and there was no haughty attitude that many people in exalted positions can often display towards the 'little people'.  He even asked me whether I'd like a tea or coffee and actually made me feel as if I were important.  A genuinely nice man.

A good few years ago, I asked him if he'd write a reminiscence of his time in comics, which was originally intended for publication in the U.K. comics fanzine The ILLUSTRATED COMIC JOURNAL.  When that esteemed organ disappeared, I was left feeling guilty that, after him taking the time and trouble on my behalf, Gil's article would never be seen.  Thank goodness for CRIKEY!'s arrival on the scene, because I gave Gil's piece to them, and it appeared in, I think, their fifth issue.  Gil even supplied me with a photo of himself (at my request) to accompany the article.  I believe he was quietly proud to see the fruits of his labour finally in print.

(One drawback was that Crikey! failed to turn off its spellchecker option when retyping the article, and several names were 'corrected' to something resembling their 'true' state, but not quite.  (GEOFF CHAMPION for example, instead of CAMPION.)  Gil wasn't as bothered by this as I was though, and just laughed it off.)

Gil was a man who did a lot for British comics, although most readers probably never heard of him.  It's a shame he's gone, and though I didn't know him well nor could be regarded as one of his friends, he had that enviable quality of making you feel as if you were, even on a brief and passing acquaintance.  Criv-ites may be interested to learn that Gil was editor of the revamped SMASH! (to name but one), which recently concluded its cover gallery feature on this humble blog of mine.

Condolences to Gil's family and friends, and I'll always recall that sunny day in London when Gil made a Scottish stranger feel welcome and more important than he had a right to.  Thanks, Gil - and rest in peace.

2 comments:

AirPiratePress said...

I missed this post back in May and have only just seen it now. Back in 1987, when I was being considered as an interim Assistant Editor for 2000AD, I was interviewed by Gil. He came across as a genuinely nice fella, and subsequently always had a few moments for a chat whenever I saw him in the offices. Later, he was always trying to get work for Massimo Belardinelli and I wrote Moonrunners (with some help from Steve Parkhouse) specifically for Massimo. What a shame he never wrote a book about his years at Fleetway. I'm sorry he's gone.

Kid said...

Yeah, he was a real nice guy. He may never have written a book, but his article which appeared in 'Crikey!' is well-worth a read if you haven't already seen it, Al.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...