Sunday 22 May 2016

'CONAN' BOWS OUT - LONG LIVE THE 'NEW' CONAN...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS and CONAN PROPERTIES, Int.

I've shown this splash page before, I'm sure, but it's now come time to revisit it.  Mainly because its twin, taken from an issue of CONAN The BARBARIAN #6, has been affixed to my wall since 1979.  Like BILBO BAGGINS, it was also there and back again (regular readers will know what I'm alluding to), but it's now faded and rippled, and its retirement fast approaches.  I've already printed out an actual-sized replacement to fill its spot on the wall, but it's kind of sad to have to say farewell to something that's been with me for 37 years.

True, its clone (a more pristine, vibrantly-coloured clone admittedly) will assume its predecessor's place, but it's a bit like leaving your wife for a younger woman who's the double of your missus as she was 30-odd years ago.  I feel extremely hard-hearted in jettisoning the original pic after its many years of faithful service, but my room could sorely do with a splash of colour to restore it to what it once was, poster-wise.  Sadly, several more 'old friends' will be taking their final bow before too long, to be replaced by doppelgangers waiting to step into their vacated shoes.

I'll do the deed tonight, and feel like a murderer.  Perhaps, if inanimate objects have any kind of 'sentience', it will view its demise as a welcome release, as people and pets in pain do when their final moment comes and they enter that eternal sleep which is the fate of us all.  Alas, there's no resisting entropy.  If only such were not the case, eh?  Maybe one day - hopefully.

Anyway, at least the situation allows me to show you a nice BARRY SMITH pic. That's surely worth a little bit of maudlin sentiment, don'tcha think?  (It oughta be.)

8 comments:

Gerry said...

Keep the original behind the new one . . .

Kid said...

Can't. The new one is the same size as the old one, which is rippled. I'd have to stick the the new one on top of the old one and it wouldn't sit flat on the wall with the old one behind it.

Anonymous said...

Will it be another Viking funeral, Kid ?

Kid said...

Yup. I couldn't just consign it to the rubbish bin - it deserves something more significant.

Rip Jagger said...

I totally get what you mean. I have over the decades replaced many if not most of the vintage comics I picked up from Marvel in the first few years as a fan. I was pretty rough with my comics and time and constant moves over the years have ravaged them. (I didn't bag and board my collection until the late 80's.) But I still hung onto the tattered originals. Selling these vintage stories can be jarring to my sentiment from time to time, but I still have a hankering for those original bits of pulp which so long ago inflamed my imagination and know I am the only one who will ever regard those haggard pages as valuable, they are safe from the marketplace.

Rip Off

Kid said...

Glad to know that someone else sees where I'm coming from on this, Rip. I have two copies of a few comics in different conditions - worn, and VF, but somehow I can't bring myself to get rid of the worn copies, even 'though I have superior condition ones.

moonmando said...

I loved the Conan covers. Instantly thrown back in time,to a much better place.

Kid said...

Back in time often seems a much better place to be, Moony. To me anyway.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...