Tuesday 27 April 2021

TRULY SCRUMPTIOUS...



If you've always wanted a Corgi Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in your collection, then you may be interested to know that the iconic model was reissued for the modern 'adult collector' in 2018.  Unlike it's previous 'budget' reissue some years back (2005 I think), this one has painted and spring-loaded wings which pop out when the brake lever is pushed forward, plus a full complement of four figures.  Alas, no jewelled head or tail lights as per the '68 original, and the bonnet strap is printed on rather than being a plastic attachment, but this is a very nice model and available for a modest £24.95 (plus postage) direct from Corgi.

I now have four versions of this Corgi classic; an original '60s one, a '90s reissue, one from approximately 15 years ago (which had unpainted pull-out side wings and one figure), and now the 50th anniversary one which arrived at Castel Crivens earlier today.  And that's not counting my three Corgi Juniors, or my SEG super large version, which is around 14 inches long, not including the front and rear wings.  This of course means that I have 8 Chittys in total, but I always was a greedy boy.

Anyway, should you like one, you'll find it on the Corgi website, but you'll have to Google it, 'cos I'm off to my scratcher.  In the meantime, what's your favourite Corgi or Dinky TV/movie tie-in cars of all time, and would Chitty be one of them?

7 comments:

Lionel Hancock said...

I still have my 1969 model of Chitty. I must agree with you it was one of my favorites too but I did prefer the Captain Scarlet set. Much more fun in fighting the Mysterons than whistling Truly Scrumptious....

Kid said...

I never had the car when it first came out and I didn't see the movie 'til around 1976/'77 (on TV), but I actually quite like the soundtrack. Had all the original Dinky Captain Scarlet toys though, back in the '60s (got replacements years ago), and have all the new Corgi versions as well. You getting better, LH?

Lionel Hancock said...

Yes I have improved considerably.I take a powerful blood thinner twice a day to slowly dissolve what left of the clots. I have been home for the last two weeks and have to take it easy for a couple of months. I went through a very unpleasant experience which I do not want to have any part of again. Thanks for all the support . I did appreciate it.

Lionel Hancock said...

My Captain Scarlet toys are the 1960s originals. No way was I parting with any of my corgi or dinky toys.

Kid said...

I've got very few of the actual toys I had as a kid, but I've replaced most of them (with originals from the time, not reissues), which I've now owned decades longer than my childhood ones. To my mind, they ARE the ones I had as a kid - which is a nice delusion. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

baggsey said...

I do not remember ever owning the Corgi full-size version of Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang back in those halcyon days of 1969, but I did own the smaller Husky version (I think before they were re-branded Corgi Juniors). But actually, the car was not one of my favourites, perhaps due to my disappointment that the film had very little footage of the car in flight PLUS the intermission at the Odeon started exactly when the car first went over the cliff...

My first tie-in car was the gold Corgi James Bond Aston Martin DB5 (Xmas 1965). To be followed by the Dinky pink Lady Penelope's Fab 1 and the Corgi Batmobile (Xmas Day 1966). Then on to the Corgi Green Hornet "Black Beauty", followed by the Corgi Bat-Boat and Corgi "The Saint"'s Volvo. Then on to the triumvirate of the Captain Scarlet Dinky's (SPV, MSV and Spectrum Patrol Car). Then the Dinky Joe 90's flying car, and finally a metallic silver Dinky version of "Ed Straker's" car from UFO.

In terms of play value, I think I liked the Captain Scarlet MSV (Maximum Security Vehicle) the best. I liked the gull-wing doors and the crate of gold bullion inside and its low centre of gravity made is great on racing across smooth floors. I also loved the SPV, but the side door would jam up, and the flap covering the missile would not stay down, and that spoiled the play experience for me.

Of course, I no longer have any of these (they all got sold in the great "Toys 'n' Comics" clear-out of 1984) but I do have two photos of my car collection from 1970 where all the above are proudly displayed, along with Corgi Juniors versions of The Saint's Volvo and a gold Aston Martin. In the photo I can even see the pristine cardboard boxes the cars came in , in the background...sigh

I have vague memories of owning some of the Husky cars from James Bond O.H.M.S.S. in 1969, and obtaining a scratched-up version of the Corgi Man from Uncle car at some point.

Kid said...

Corgi are reissuing the gold Aston Martin in June, in a facsimile of its original box. The car is actually the slightly larger version (or a recast of it) from around 1968, which was an actual DB5. The 1st (gold) version utilised the existing moulds of the DB4 so that they could release it in time for Christmas '65, but it was a nifty wee toy.

The SPV was simply too heavy for the hatch to stay down, because it was released by pressure on the front wheels. Even if you could get it to stay down, once you pushed it along the carpet, up it popped again. Post that photo on your blog (if you haven't already), will you, as I'd love to see it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...