Sunday 10 March 2019

RETELLING REPOST: FROM THE PAST TO THE PRESENT - AN UNTOLD 'TALE' OF DOCTOR WHO...


DOCTOR WHO & TARDIS copyright BBC TV

Way back at the start of the '80s (wow, more than 30 years ago) I purchased two brush pens with which I hoped to practise my inking.  I'd had them for a while before I got around to using them, and when I did, it was on a DOCTOR WHO drawing of the original and best Doctor, WILLIAM HARTNELL.

I pencilled the figure and TARDIS and then inked them in, rather too thickly in places, due to my unfamiliarity with the pens, which, unlike most brush pens of today, had flexible, rubber-tip 'points' to them.  In the end, I abandoned the drawing because, although I was happy with the likeness, the pose was a little too rigid and not quite natural enough to my eyes.

Part of the problem was that I had done the drawing A4 size, which was far too small to allow for a finely-detailed finish, so I put it away, resolving to draw a larger version at some time in the future and give it the loving attention it deserved.

Well, the future came and went, and I never did get around to redrawing my Bill Hartnell 'masterpiece'.  However, a few months back, I discovered an old, actual-sized photocopy of my initial drawing (dunno know what happened to the original) and decided to finish it.  I'd already added a logo back in 1983 (photocopied from a 1979 ish of DWW), so all I had to do was complete the background, which I did over the course of a few days when time, inclination, and energy levels allowed.

I still possess my original brush pens after all this time (STAEDTLER MARS GRAPHIC 3000) and, amazingly, they both still work, although the ink in one of them is no longer quite as black as it once was.  (A bit purple in fact.)  However, I didn't want to compromise their nigh-pristine condition by subjecting them to the rigours of artistic application, so I used an actual brush and a combination of different markers.

What you see above is the finished result.  Now, perhaps I'm biased, but I'd say it's not too bad for a 30-odd year old drawing.  Maybe one day, I'll enlarge it to A3 size, tidy it up a bit and add some colour.  Or who knows?  I may even start from scratch and do the thing properly.

And, just in case you're interested, below can be seen my original brush pens from the early '80s.

  

******

Should anyone with the requisite skills feel like colouring  the illustration, go ahead - as long as I get to see the result. 

2 comments:

Lionel Hancock said...

First rate drawing .It would have made a great Dr Who Magazine cover back then. Must agree with you too. Hartnell was the best Doctor.

Kid said...

Figure's a little stiff, LH, but it's certainly not the worst drawing of Dr. Who I've seen. I'm quite proud of it in fact - in my usual modest manner of course.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...