Monday, 7 September 2026

Oor WULLIE (& The BROONS) At 90...


Copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

Jings, crivens, help ma boab, it's Oor Wullie celebrating his 90th birthday, yet he doesn't look a day over 10 or 11.  (I'll have what he's having.)  I've not been following Wullie's book for years so I'm unsure whether this is the first one without any artwork by Dudley D. Watkins, aside from some spot illos of Wullie's head at the top of each page on either side of the rhyming couplets.

Of course, The Broons made their debut at the same time as Wullie, but it seems they'll have to wait 'til next year for their birthday celebrations, which will obviously be belated.  There is, of course, the yearly hardback volume of Wullie and The Broons, which also celebrates 90 years of fun, and you can see the covers of that book after the back cover of Wullie's solo title, below.

The Works currently has both volumes at a reduced price and no doubt that will decrease even more as Christmas nears.  I've never seen either of these titles sold at full price, aside from online at the D.C. Thomson Shop, though I believe they sometimes do special offers as well.  C'mon, Crivs - celebrate the 90th Anniversary of these two Scottish icons by buying both books now.



No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...