Thursday 27 June 2024

PRESENTING THE PLASTON STINGRAY - AND IT'S MINE, ALL MINE... (Updated)

STINGRAY copyright relevant owner

It was near the end of 1965, either for my birthday or for Christmas*, that my mother bought me a Plaston Stingray from a Co-op store named Krazy Kuts in my town's main shopping centre.  I remember that on the way home, we were standing just along from the ground floor flat my grandparents had not long moved into, having relocated from Hamilton Road in Rutherglen.  (I think my father and brother were also present.)  I can no longer recall whether it was on the way in or on the way out (or whether we even went in at all), but I remember studying the box and the cut-out stand-up figures printed thereon.

It must've been early in the New Year in 1966 that me and my brother took my Stingray down to the bottom of the street, across the road from which was a marshy sort of field with a pond in it.  I don't know how, but I managed to lose the Ratemaster propellor and perhaps also the Tail Fins at the rear.  In fact, I don't know if it's possible to lose one without also losing the other, but it's the absence of the Ratemaster I recollect all these decades later.  Now, however, nearly 60 years on, I've finally managed to replace this toy from my childhood.

It didn't arrive in the condition you see in the first six photos though - no, that's the result of my painting handiwork and high-quality repro parts of the yellow pieces and Stingray labels, procured from a place in Canada which manufactures many Gerry Anderson pieces, as well as of other iconic toys from the '60s.  As you can see from the five seller's photos at the foot of this post, only the hollow, blow-moulded blue chassis arrived at my address after me obtaining it via eBay.  I knew repro parts for the missing pieces were available and promptly purchased them, along with a repro box, after winning the chassis.

As you can see from the seller's photos, nary a hint of silver remained on the body, aside from a smidgeon on one of the Aqua-sprites, and a couple of minuscule nebulous flecks of silver on the cockpit.  I'm kind of glad of that in a way, as had the original shape of the windows still been discernible, I'd have felt obliged to restore them to how they were.  After looking at images on the Internet though, I didn't like the look of the mask-sprayed windows, which were too tall and had two front screens instead of a single one.  I therefore took the liberty of painting on the windows more in accordance with how they looked in the TV show, but keeping a hint of the Plaston rendering.

So, like I said, it took nearly 60 years, but another cherished toy from my childhood has returned to the fold to keep me company (along with others) until my 'final bedtime'.  Welcome home, Stingray.  Now, how many comments will 'happen in the next half-hour' ?  Standby for action!  (I hope.)  Update: Only one comment so far?  Don't all rush at once now.

******

*Actually, thinking it over, it's unlikely to have been for Christmas as I wouldn't have been allowed to see it until the big day - even had I known it's what I was due to receive.
  





As you can see, the top of the cockpit had been pushed in, but I rescued
it by softening the plastic with hot water, then inserting an Allen Key
into the periscope hole and pulling it back up into its proper shape





And below is how the windows looked on the toy originally.  (I think mine looks better.)


Curiously, the Plaston Stingray is one of only two or three childhood toys which seemed smaller than I remembered it.  Usually, my replacement toys appear to be the same size to me as an adult as when I was a kid.  The Corgi Toys Aston Martin D.B.5, The Saint's Volvo 1800, etc., don't look one whit smaller than they did then, so why's this one different?  Perhaps it seeming larger to me as a kid was an optical illusion due to the taller windows, which makes the top part of the vessel look bigger.  If you compare the windows in the above pic with the narrower ones of my own, the impression given is that the above toy is more 'bulky' than it actually is.  That's the only reason I can think of, but it might be altogether fanciful.  Incidentally, to give you a sense of scale, it's around 10-and-a-half inches long.  (The toy, I mean.  What else would I be referring to?) 

7 comments:

Terranova47 said...

Congratulations! Restored that looks like a great 'toy' as opposed to being an accurate scale model. It screams take me to water, which seems to be what you and your brother heard!

Kid said...

Yeah, T47, I think it was meant to be a 'bathtub' toy. Shape-wise, I'd say it's fairly accurate, it's just the colours that show a 'little imagination'. It's good to have again.

B Smith said...

Now listen, young Robson, I want your solemn promise that - despite the temptation - you will NOT take your new Stingray down to that pond.

Colin Jones said...

You've done an excellent job on it, Kid - I hope the seller didn't ask too much for simply a blue chassis.

By the way, did you hear the recent news story about the Chief Constable who was fired because he'd invented an illustrious naval career when applying for his job? I was reminded of your former friend and his fantasies.

McSCOTTY said...

I think I had this toy as a child back in 1965. Very nice restoration job.

baggsey said...

Very nice job on the restoration, Kid. I'm in awe of your skills, seriously. I never had the Plastron Stingray, only the larger Airfix kit.

Kid said...

The field is still there, BS, but the pond is long gone (though there's a burn there now and has been for decades). I might take it into the bath with me though.

******

It was a bidding war, CJ, but I won. Most people wouldn't have paid what I paid for it though. In fact, if I hadn't known that repro parts were available, I wouldn't have paid what I paid for it either. Yeah, I saw that story and that's the first person I thought of as well. He'd actually been in the Navy, and after he left, he claimed to be a Detective Chief Inspector in the Hampshire Police.

******

Thanks, McS. It's nice to have back again. How are you getting on these days, feeling stronger?

******

I never had the Airfix kit, nor the Fireball XL5 one either, B. They command a small fortune nowadays. I've seen the XL5 on on eBay a couple of times - it really is rather nice.

******

Apologies for the delay in responding, Crivs. For some odd reason I'm not getting any email alerts about comments and didn't know they were there until I signed into the blog.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...