Tuesday 25 June 2024

SPECIAL MARVEL EDITION - The MIGHTY THOR...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Special Marvel Edition was a comic which lasted for 16 issues from 1971 to 1974.  The first four issues featured The Mighty Thor, the next ten starred Sgt. Fury, and the final two introduced The Hands Of Shang-Chi, Master Of Kung Fu.  I bought #2 as a back issue at the start of the '80s, #1 circa the mid-'80s (I think), and #s 3 & 4 only recently.  I've also got #15, purchased around 15 years or more ago (from the late Pete Root when he rented space in other premises in Buchanan Street in Glasgow), so that's only five issues in all.

However, it's the Thor issues I'm mainly interested in today, as it's good to finally have all four 53 years after they first appeared, and around 43/44 years after I first acquired #2.  Incidentally, neither 1 or 2 are replacements, both of them are the original issues from when I first bought them - as are 3 & 4, though I've only had them for a few days.  I've shown the first two on the blog before, but thought it would be a good idea to feature all four together so that you Crivs can view them as the 'family' unit they are.  (I've also now added them to previous cover posts.)

Thought, theories, observations, and speculations about the comics welcome, as are imaginative, creative, inventive, and fanciful comments and insults about my good self.  Get cracking.


8 comments:

Colin Jones said...

In my childhood I didn't mind that the Asgardians spoke as if they were in a Shakespeare play but nowadays I find such dialogue to be ridiculously pompous and unreadable. It's totally illogical too - surely they'd all speak in Old Norse.

Kid said...

But would they I wonder? They were deities to the Norsemen sure enough, but did that mean they themselves would speak Norse? And if Thor and his cronies spoke Norse in the comics, CJ, how would you understand them? Artistic license is the thing to remember - otherwise comics would be so logical, they'd be boring (or not exist at all).

Fantastic Four follower said...

Great post featuring early 1970's Marvel reprints,fantastic time to be growing up and reading comics.Loved those 4 king size Kirby reprints and this was just at the start of my attempt to figure out the giant Marvel jigsaw puzzle which included current issues from USA,back issues,British Marvel reprints,Alan Class comics,Christmas annuals,Fantastic and Terrific comics from the 1960's etc.So many stories to keep up with or discover and yet now 50 years later I have read them all!!!Fond memories of those Thor comics which I loved and I never noticed that they spoke in a Shakesparian manner..it seemed totally appropriate to me and still does.Fond and happy memories.Always a pleasure to catch up with you Kid and hope you are well.Pete was a friend of mine and he visited us in Belfast and kindly put us up when we visited Glasgow.Real nice guy.Stay well my friend.

Kid said...

Hi, Triple F, good to hear from you (and all Crivvies). I'd have to check to be sure, but I've a feeling that some of those SME Thor Tales were also reprinted in a few of the Thor King Size Specials/Annuals - could be wrong though. Pete was a character, wasn't he?! Pretended to be a crusty old curmudgeon, but it was just an act. Stay safe, FFF.

Colin Jones said...

I suppose Stan Lee chose "Shakespearean" dialogue because it sounded noble and fitting for Asgardian gods.

Kid said...

That's pretty much the reason he claimed for doing so, CJ. He thought 'gods' wouldn't speak like ordinary people.

Rip Jagger said...

These are sweet comics. This was from the era when Marvel was printing more Kirby stuff than DC despite Kirby working for them, because they unleashed so many reprints. These Thor stories are great!

Kid said...

Indeed, RJ, contains some of the best Lee/Kirby Thor stuff ever produced. Thor versus Hercules - wow!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...