Wednesday 12 July 2023

The RETURN Of The SAINT'S VOLVO - AGAIN...


The 2023 2nd edition with Simon Templar's 'stick' figure on the bonnet

Funny how some mental associations are indelible, don't you think?  For example, when I think of Corgi Toys The Saint's Volvo P1800, I associate it with the '60s and the house I lived in at the time.  In my mind's eye, I can see it on top of the dining table in our living-room, and whenever I look at my replacement car today, that's still where I associate it with.

Thing is, I've had my replacement for many more years than I ever had the original (which wasn't really mine, but my brother's, though I played with it), and the photo I took of it along with the Corgi Model Club's reissue of it a couple of years back was taken on top of the table (which replaced our original one back around 1980 or '81) in my current residence.

The 2021 reissue with 'aged' bonnet figure, and an original '60s toy with late '60s hubcaps

Thing is, looking at that close-up photo now, I'm left with a strong mental image of my old living-room 'out-of-frame', as it were - as if it was taken there rather than here.  You'd think I'd be able to envisage the cars in their current 'context', instead of one that passed more than 51 years ago.  But enough of such self-indulgent twaddle, you've probably 'rumbled' me anyway.

What I mean is that this post is merely an excuse to show you my newly-acquired latest 2nd edition release, on which the artificially-aged look of the bonnet transfer on the 2021 version has been replaced with a pristine Saint figure, more in line with how the 1965 toy would've looked when it first went on sale, lo, those many decades ago.  What's that, you haven't got one?

Never mind - you can enjoy looking at mine.  Am I good to you all, or what?   

2 comments:

Terranova47 said...

You are indeed good to us showing these images.

Fun fact is that when the Saint series was going into production they tried to get an E-Type Jaguar but were turned down because of limited production and the need to meet overseas orders. Volvo on the other hand had heaps of unsold cars and so reaped years of free publicity.

Luckily for Johnny Storm, Jack Kirby could whip up an E-Type on demand!

Kid said...

And, of course, as you know, T47, Simon Templar eventually got his Jaguar when he returned to TV in the form of Ian Ogilvy.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...