Wednesday 12 July 2023

GUS MARTIN - R.I.P. (Updated)


A young Gus in or around 1981

Just learned that one of my former neighbours from 1965 to 1972 died recently - Gus Martin.  Gus lived in the row of terraced houses directly behind mine, and that's now three of my peers I know of who once lived in the first two rows who've passed since 2021 - Robert Baird, Kenny Tierney, and Gus.  Another link to my childhood gone, alas.  I last remember chatting to Gus around 4 or 5 years ago in Glasgow where he'd lived for a number of years, his family having moved there in the late 1970s or early '80s, not quite sure.  (I think Gus lived in various places first before eventually settling down in Glasgow.)

Originally, I only had a small photo of Gus, copied from one of his old travel cards borrowed from a mutual pal, given to him by Gus's sister, but I've now managed to obtain a better one, above.  Hopefully, Gus, Kenny, and Robert are up there reminiscing about old times when we were all innocent kids and teens who thought we'd live forever.  Only seems like last week, not over 50 years ago.  I took a stroll along to the old neighbourhood this evening after publishing the first version of this post, looked at our old houses and remembered how things used to be, and how I often wish they could be again.  Sigh.  R.I.P. Gus.

(Photo borrowed from Ian MacNair's Facebook page and supplied by Carolyn Denham.) 

4 comments:

Colin Jones said...

We aren't here for long but let's be thankful we were here at all.

Kid said...

I want to be here forever, CJ. Not much to ask, is it?

McSCOTTY said...

Sorry to hear about your friend Kid. Can't concur I would want to be here forever, but would be nice if our span was a bit longer ( with good health).

Kid said...

Ta, McS. Remember, though, that a man's reach should always exceed his grasp - so the further we aim for, we might just have a chance of grasping not too far short of it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...