Tuesday 22 February 2022

THE ETERNALS 1985/'86 COVER GALLERY... (A FABULOUS FLASHBACK)

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Believe it or not, images possess a great power - the power to return a person to the time and place they first saw them.  And so it was that I found myself transported 33-odd years into the past when I rediscovered this 12-issue series in a cardboard box back in 2018.  Once more I was in my room in the house I lived in at the time, and once again I was standing in the large cupboard that contained my black metal filing cabinet in which I kept most of my comics.  (I'd probably need around 20 filing cabinets now, and that's just a conservative estimate.)

So strongly do I associate these dozen mags with the house I was then living in that I almost feel out of place in my present surroundings, as if I've suddenly been transported into another dimension.  However, I'm sure you're not here to read my self-indulgent ramblings, you're here for the pretty piccies.  So here's 12 of them to either remind you of comics you had back in the mid-'80s, or to show you what you missed if you weren't around at the time.

The ETERNALS, of course, were created by JACK KIRBY in the mid-'70s and I have all 19 issues plus the Annual, but it was never really a major success for MARVEL.  However, such is the reverence that some fans and comic pros have for all things Kirby, it was decided to revive them in this limited series.  SAL BUSCEMA handled the internal art chores, echoing WALT SIMONSON's style on THOR, but I can't remember anything else about the run.  If I ever get around to re-reading the issues, maybe the memories will come flooding back, but if you're looking for a detailed review of the plot then you've come to the wrong blog, Charlie.

They've more than likely been reprinted in a collected edition by now, so if you're interested in finding out what the storyline was all about, you could try tracking down a copy on eBay.  In the meantime, feel entirely free to enjoy Crivens' cataclysmic cover gallery.  And if you did read these issues back in the day and have anything you wish to say about them, then you know where the comments section is - so don't be shy now. 











10 comments:

Colin Jones said...

I've never heard of this 12-issue run before. The covers are nice but I don't think much of the masthead - the original one was a lot better.

Kid said...

I think they're going for a mosaic effect, CJ, to give it a classic antiquated look. I don't actually mind it - at least it's different. This is a repost, so you probably saw it first time around and just forgot. (That's what happens when you're 56, old yin.)

McSCOTTY said...

I remember seeing these back in the day but find it hard to believe it was 35 years ago. I was getting fed up with most comics back then ( bar a few titles) so I never picked them up. I did enjoy Kirbys original series though and a few issues of his run on the title in my loft. These Sal Buscema issues have been collected. I never liked the logo to this series. Jeez Istill can't believe it was 35 years ago!

Kid said...

Neither can I, McS. It's always hard to adjust to something that seems fairly recent, but is actually more than half your life away. Well, now that I've cheered everyone up with that thought, for my next trick...

Colin Jones said...

On the other hand, I much prefer the corner-box image of Ikaris in this series than in the original run. This Ikaris looks dynamic but the original one just stood there doing nothing - and he was always shown with short hair!

Kid said...

To be honest, CJ, I think Kirby's drawing of Ikaris used in the corner box of the original series is one of the worst things he ever drew. Lifeless and poorly rendered, it showed his increasing decline. (If that's not a contradiction in terms.)

Rip Jagger said...

For those folks wanting a more detailed look at this series check out this link:

https://ripjaggerdojo.blogspot.com/2021/09/the-eternals-and-dreaming-celestial.html

These books are available in trade now thanks to the Eternals movie which was a bit ho-hum.

Rip Off

Kid said...

Ta, RJ - that saves me having to do any 'in-depth' writing. Far too lazy, me.

Dave S said...

I owned the first issue of this series but not the others. I seem to remember being a bit underwhelmed by it, although Our Pal Sal's art was great- always liked that style he developed in the mid-80s.

I think I may have bought #1 at a comic mart, but sadly the recesses of my memory are not forthcoming with any further detail.

Kid said...

I don't think it grabbed me much either, DS. Wasn't even a huge fan of Kirby's version. Sal Buscema was trying to make his style look like Walt Simonson for some reason. Didn't do a bad job either, but Simonson's art seems a bit extreme to me sometimes, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to emulate it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...