Tuesday 22 February 2022

LIVING IN A BUBBLE...



It was when we were on holiday in Ayr (I think), around 1963, that I acquired my first Bubble Car.  I've recounted this story before, but there's a reason for me repeating myself, which will become clear in a moment.  We were in an amusement arcade, and one of those 'grappling-hook' machines had a deep red Bubble Car on view.  My father had a go or two at securing it for me, but was unsuccessful.  The manager of the place, hearing my expression of disappointment, invited me to follow him (with my family in tow) and made his way to the back of the arcade.  Pulling aside a curtain to a back storeroom, he opened a box and withdrew something, then presented me with my very own red Bubble Car.  I, of course, was ecstatic at my new acquisition.  To this day though, I can't recall if this was the start of my love affair with Bubble Cars, or it pre-existed before that particular presentation.  (I suspect the latter.)


Anyway, what's all that got to do with the price of cheese?  Simply this.  Around four years ago I acquired the above HEINKEL Bubble Car by OXFORD Diecast (1:18 scale), and though my 1963 version wasn't a Heinkel, it reminds me of the one I had in my infancy (which was a plastic, friction-drive, four-wheeled toy).  I could've got a right-hand drive version, but not in red (only 'Roman Blue'), so I plumped for the left-hand drive model.  Great, innit?  Takes me right back to Ayr in 1963.  Hey, that's some distance, so the 'miles-to-the-gallon' count is quite impressive.


Incidentally, the colour above is described as 'Spartan Red', but looks a bit orangey in these photos from eBay (probably the lighting or the flash).  The one below (also described as 'Spartan Red') better reflects what the actual colour looks like.  So, while I gaze in rapt fascination at my nice 'new' red Bubble Car, I muse in a mildly melancholy manner on the one I owned 59 years ago.  Maybe one day I'll be able to track down a replacement, but in the meantime this one is very welcome.

6 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I haven't seen a real bubble car in years. I think they'd actually be ideal nowadays for city centres. I would loved to have a wee go at driving one they look cool.

Kid said...

Jonathon Ross has one, I believe. Great looking wee cars. Almost makes me wish I could drive, McS.

Woodsy said...

Great bubble post Kid. Thats a lovely new toy. Spartan red is a great name although a little gory! I assume Bubble Cars are classed as motorbikes when it comes to driving licences?

Kid said...

Yeah, you only need a provisional driving licence to drive a three-wheel motor vehicle, W. Did you see my parents' Nobel 200?

WOODSY said...

A fabulous looking vehicle your parents had Kid. Looks almost amphibious! Never seen one before! Great nostalgic photos of a bygone time.

Kid said...

Wish I could find out what happened to it over the years, W, and whether it still exists. At least I've got a limited edition model of it - and the photos of course.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...