Thursday 21 May 2020

THAT'S THE WONDER OF WOOLIES...



One shop which features in the childhood memories of many people of a certain age is undoubtedly WOOLWORTHS.  Which of us can think back to our early days and not see Woolworths loom large in our personal history?  Of course, there will be other shops, some local, some national, that we also hold in great affection, but Woolworths is the 'daddy', isn't it?  Or one of the daddies at least, especially when it came to toys (and PIC 'n' MIX).

To be honest, I wasn't always 100% certain about its name.  I, along with most people I knew, called it Woolworths (or Woolworse was the way I pronounced it as a kid), but it was actually known as F.W. WOOLWORTH & Co. Ltd when I was a boy, only switching to WOOLWORTHS in the early or mid- '80s after a management buyout in the UK.  So whether you called it Woolworth, Woolworth's or Woolworths, you were right at least some of the time.

Amazingly, the British incarnation outlasted the American one (from which it had sprung) by quite a few years, and there has been talk about the name returning to the UK high street a number of times over the last few years, which I for one would love to see.  I suppose HOME BARGAINS is the modern equivalent of 'Woolies', but it would be great to see the original resurrected.

I own a number of goodies bought from Woolworths over the years before its demise, some of which bear the company's name on the packaging.  However, those 'branded' products are mostly generic items made by a variety of manufacturers and were doubtless also available in other stores in different packaging.  Now, though, thanks to the generosity of American reader Terranova47, today I became the proud owner of a MATTEL HOT WHEELS lorry bearing the iconic name of Woolworth on the product itself.

This is an American toy, hence the US version of the name, but hey - whether Woolworth, Woolworth's or Woolworths, it's essentially the same thing.  And remember, Woolworths was actually known as Woolworth in Britain at one time too, prior to the addition of the 's'.

So, many thanks to Terranova47 for reminding me of a much-missed part of my past.  Woolworths may be gone (for the moment), but it'll never be forgotten, regardless of whatever version of its name is the one you remember.

Any fond memories of Woolies that you'd care to share with your fellow Crivs?  Then the comments section awaits your presence.   

17 comments:

Colin Jones said...

I once asked my father to buy me a bag of pick 'n' mix from Woolworths but he wasn't very imaginative - the bag contained about two varieties of sweets.

The other thing I remember about Woolworths is the huge variety of chocolate bars which I've never seen anywhere else.

Kid said...

I tended to stick to one selection too, CJ, which was usually Jelly Babies. (Or Peace Babies as they were first known during the war.)

Colin Jones said...

Jelly babies were originally called peace babies? You're never too old to be surprised :)

Kid said...

Why, that's almost akin to the wisdom of the ancients, CJ. You been reading fortune cookies?

Fantastic Four follower said...

Vivid memories of hot roasted peanuts beside the pick'n'mix confectionary.

Kid said...

Is that in America or Britain, Triple F? Can't say I remember seeing hot roasted peanuts in Woolies, but perhaps I wasn't paying attention. (Too busy looking at the toys in all probability.)

Monopode said...

This is not a fond memory but Woolies, in my town, had the first security cameras I ever saw. Large round monsters with three lenses. They reminded me of Daleks.

The pick'n'mix we’re out of this world. One memorable Christmas me and my sister got a huge bag each and watched Jason and the Argonauts. Life doesn’t get much better than that.

Kid said...

There's a photo of me on the blog somewhere, standing in Boots back around the mid-90s, and there's one of those cameras you're referring to in the background. It looks exactly like an upside-down black Dalek's head sticking through the ceiling, so you're spot on about their appearance.

Sadly, M, life never seems to get much better after our youth has departed. Often, only the memories of better times remain. Better than nothing though, eh?

Kid said...

Just remembered - the post is called Daleks Love Boots... type it into the blog's search box if you'd like to see it.

Monopode said...

I will, thanks. Glad to know my memory isn’t playing tricks on me.

Kid said...

Long may it be so.

David Simpson said...

Here's a link to an article with photos that show the changes to the Woolworth name over the years https://wooliesbuildings.wordpress.com/tag/aberdeen/

Kid said...

Thanks for that, DS, I'll be visiting that link shortly.

WOODSY said...

Woolies was great for everything Kid. Sweets, toys and nic nacs. And thats just me as an adult. Obviously I just didnt shop there enough as many didnt or else it would have survived. Maybe. I saw Woolies open in Germany long after they'd shut here. I got some bags of Bruder space toys there.

Kid said...

We can only hope that it eventually (though preferably sooner than later) appears again in the UK, Woodsy. It was a great shop. As I said, I think Home Bargains is probably the modern equivalent of Woolworths, so wouldn't it be great if they bought the name and transformed their stories into Woolies? What do you think?

WOODSY said...

Good idea Kid. Woolie Bargains! Just remembered, I also bought PEZ from Woolies in the early 90's. I kept them for a few years and stuck them on my old toy fair stall. Mostly Star Wars and Super Heroes. I'd nip next door to John Menzies and get my copy of Collectors Gazette. I had Model Mart delivered so no need to get that! Happy days!

Kid said...

I have a special affection for toys I bought in Woolies - it just makes them extra special to me, because I associate the shop with my childhood. Happy days indeed.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...