Friday 2 August 2019

IF I TOLD YOU I WAS A CHAMPION, WOULD YOU SAY I WAS 'LION'?

Copyright relevant owner

Looking at it now, LION & CHAMPION has a curiously 'dated' look, and seems more like a comic of the '50s than the '60s.  Around a month after the above 1967 comic went on sale, FANTASTIC was launched, featuring MARVEL reprints of THOR, X-MEN, and IRON MAN, and was a far more exciting and modern prospect than LEO's weekly periodical (LION) launched in February 1952.  15 years later and it yet seemed stuck in the '50s, but I say that as someone who didn't buy it as a kid, though I read occasional issues when they presented themselves.  Perhaps those who did were more able to perceive any then-modern merits it may've had.

However, it's very professionally produced, and includes anti-hero The SPIDER (drawn by REG BUNN), who's reputed to have been created by SUPERMAN scribe JERRY SIEGEL, though some doubt has been cast on this claim.  The PHANTOM VIKING had originated in CHAMPION (launched in February 1966, it survived for a mere 15 issues before being merged into Lion in June), and appeared to be Britain's answer to Thor, but obviously FLEETWAY hadn't quite heard the question.  When meek and mild OLAF LARSEN dons the Viking helmet of one of his ancestors (LARSEN The LIBERATOR), he gains super-strength and can fly, as well as growing several inches taller and a few stones heavier.

Thing is, when the wind changes, he transforms back to his normal self, which is a tad inconvenient when pursuing a superhero career.  I might be imagining this, but I seem to remember that he also changed back if his helmet was dislodged, and if so, a chinstrap would've been a good idea, as a helmet with wings is liable to fly off when you're standing on top of an aeroplane travelling at several hundred miles an hour like in the above cover.  However, as I say, perhaps I'm misremembering that part of his Achilles' heel, though having just checked a previous post on ol' Vikey in which I made the same claim with far more conviction, it might well be true.

JINKS looks like a foreign strip translated into English, and LOFTY LIGHTYEAR might be the same, though I'm unsure.  MOWSER is the top humour strip in the comic anyway - the others are mere also-rans in comparison.  An earlier Lion strip (originally called SWORD Of EINGAR), featuring KARL The VIKING (who'd been born a Saxon), is reprinted in this ish, but this time as a Danish warrior called ROLF.  He was restored to Viking status in the revamped SMASH! a couple of years later, though this time under the name of ERIC (no relation to half-a-bee).  Just as well they didn't make 'Rolf' an Australian singer/artist, as it would've damaged his reputation no end.  (Savour that exquisite DON LAWRENCE art.)  I suspect Rolf became a Dane simply to avoid having two strips in the same comic with the word 'Viking' in the title.

ROBOT ARCHIE (drawn by TED KEARON) is a legend in British comics, and ZIP NOLAN was a well-respected strip too. Although an American Highway Patrol officer, he was later transferred to Britain for a spell (in some kind of exchange programme I assume) to study UK policing methods, but he eventually returned to the States I believe.  The other strips are competently and professionally produced, but a little underwhelming - at least to my 21st century eyes.  Maybe I'd have thought differently back then.

Anyway, I bought this comic just for the cover ('cos I liked it), so I thought I'd give you a quick run through of most of the contents so that you could see (or remind yourselves) of what a 'typical' British comic of the time looked like.  Well, typical for Fleetway that is - ODHAMS PRESS were a little more wild in their weekly output, as were (to some extent) D.C. THOMSON's comic strip publications. (Though with-out the contributions of BAXENDALE and REID, not quite so anarchic as they'd once been.)

Feel free to comment if you so wish. 
















2 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Lion was one of my all time favourite UK titles and whilst I remember all the strips that are shown here I can't remember buying this comic when it my was called Lion and Champion at all . My favourite Lion strips were Mowser and Oddball Oates.
It was a great fun comic.

Kid said...

Mowser's an all-time classic, PM. Hopefully, Rebellion will publish a collected edition. (I'm still revising this post to try and get it to say what I wanted it to say. Funny how I can always see ways to improve something with each re-reading.)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...