Monday 18 March 2019

SUPERCAR - THE MARVEL OF THE AGE...



It was 1962 or '63, and there I was, gazing into a newsagent's window at the wonderful friction-drive SUPERCAR toy that was on display.  The location was my local neighbourhood shops and I was accompanying my mother as she bought some 'messages'.  The toy must've been inexpensive, or perhaps my birthday was looming, because when I asked her to buy it for me, surprisingly, she complied.  I was never a spoilt child (well, apart from the time a steamroller ran over me), so even today I find myself wondering why she so readily assented to indulge me.

Of course, as you can see for yourselves, the toy can hardly be described as an accurate representation of the craft from the TV show, but it was close enough and I doubt that I was ever aware of the difference.  I remember one of the wings warped from the heat of our BELLING fire when I sat the toy on top of it, but I couldn't say exactly when that happened - days, weeks, or months later.  Nor could I say when it faded into the limbo that's reserved for most childhood playthings, but that's where it must've eventually sloped off to.
  
Until earlier tonight (Saturday), when I bid on the toy on eBay and won it.  These are the seller's photos you're looking at, as obviously I haven't yet got my grubby mitts on it, but it'll be winging its way to me soon, and then I'll be reunited with another fondly-remembered item from my long-ago childhood.  Only a few more essential replacements to go before I call a halt to my quest - at least for a while.  After all, there's always something else that comes along and stirs the quiet waters of my memory, asking me to invite it back into the fold.  Which I do - just so long as I can afford it.

Now, where can I obtain a SPACE BLIMP OF CHRISTMAS?  (Update: Never mind, got that as well now.  Hooray!)
   





And here it is in its nice new replica box, below.

14 comments:

B Smith said...

Y'know, even as a kid I could be a pesky fussbudget. Why oh why, i would ask no-one in particular, do they always have to make these merchandising tie-ins so crappily? The thing that really ticked me off was making it "friction powered" which meant BLOODY GREAT HUGE WHEELS sticking out of it. My brothers and I were lucky enough to get four of the Lincoln International Thunderbirds vehicles (I got TB4)....wheels! Hmph!!

(Of course I was not quite so articulate fifty-something years ago, but the unstated feeling was there)

Still, nice purchase...if you see any Zintar (of the Zeroids) going, giz a yell.

Kid said...

I'd like some Zeroids myself, BS, so I'll let you know about any leftovers once I've had my pick. (Actually, there's a couple on ebay at the moment, plus a full life-sized one for £3,000.) I had the JR21 TB1, TB2, & TB3 when I was a kid - they're on my replacements list. Just picked up the Dalek figure from The Dalek Oracle game. I'll see if it works with my Amazing (Magic) Robot game when I remember where I put it.

WOODSY said...

Beautiful toy Kid, you lucky devil. What a great win. I've always loved this version of SCar. It is the Plaston brand version isn't it? What a neat new addition to the Kid Kollection!

Kid said...

There's no name on the toy (which I received today), Woodsy, but I think it's by Fairylite. I'm soon to obtain a professionally printed replica box to complete it. I'll show them both on the blog when I do.

WOODSY said...

Of course, Fairylite! Yes! Lookin forward to seeing it with its repro box. Speaking of repro'ing, here's an old post of mine about a talented collector restoring a battered example of the Fairylite Stingray. http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2010/09/when-i-was-approached-18-months-ago-to.html

Congrats Kid.

Kid said...

You had me confused there, Woodsy, because it's a restored Supercar, not Stingray, but what an amazing job he's done.

WOODSY said...

It is an amazing job I agree. I'd love skills like that Kid but I'm a Johnny Lemon kinda guy. Your'e example looks great and will need no restoration Kid!

Kid said...

There are some minuscule cracks in the plastic canopy where it plugs into the body, but nothing major. Considering it's well over 50 years old, I'm surprised at just what good shape it's in. Oh, and I've just bought the box, so hopefully that will be with me by sometime next week.

Kid said...

'Stress fractures' they're called I believe.

WOODSY said...

I have something coming too Kid. First thing I've bought in ages and ages. Its being shipped from abroad. Trouble is, there's no sign of it having been dispatched yet and no tracking number has emerged. I'm panicking unnecessarily too soon! As for Supercar bubble cockpits I once did a post in my DIY All Fingers and Thumbs style of repairing toys on that very thing http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com/2018/04/johnny-lemon-replacement-apple-canopy.html
Hope Supercar lands safely soon.

Kid said...

Supercar landed yesterday, W (as mentioned above), it's just the box I'm waiting for now. Off to look at your link.

Kid said...

Yes, I remember it now - even commented at the time. The stress fractures on my Supercar's canopy are too slight to bother about - can hardly be seen except in a certain light and at a certain angle.

WOODSY said...

Enjoy!

Kid said...

I am!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...