Monday 17 April 2017

BOB IS BRITISH - AND PROUD OF IT...



The shilling, also called the 'bob' still exists in its decimal equivalent today - namely, the 5 pence piece.  This set by COINCRAFT displays six incarnations of the British 'bob' down through the decades.  These half-dozen coins add up to only 30 pence in decimal money, or 72 pennies in £sd.  (Sounds better, doesn't it?)

(In the above scan, some of the coins seem a little 'toned', but that's not how they look 'in the flesh'.  As you can see from their reverse sides below.)

4 comments:

John Pitt said...

I used to hate having the two-bob bits!

Kid said...

I gotta ask, JP - why?

John Pitt said...

'cause I was on the khazi all day!

Kid said...

Ah, right. There's a reason for the use of apostrophes in sentences like your first one, JP. Example: I used to hate having the 'two-bob bits'! I'd have got it immediately. Hope your botty's feeling better now.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...