Saturday 8 April 2017

'X' MARKS THE SPOT (THE DIFFERENCE)...


Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

When the 1st editions of MARVEL MASTERWORKS first hit the scene back in the late 1980s, they weren't always as archival in nature as they could have been.  That's because, back in the '60s, changes were often made between something having been drawn and being published, and very often the only sources available to the Masterworks team were the pre-published proofs before they'd been altered.

One such example is X-MEN #5.  Above is the cover as Jolly JACK KIRBY originally drew it, and below is how the published mag first appeared to the comics-buying public.  As you can see, CYCLOPS and ICE MAN have swapped places, and The ANGEL's face has been redrawn and highlights have been added to his figure.  The corner box has also been altered, but whether it was actually on the original production stat or added by the Masterworks team to complete the cover is uncertain.  (The cover art was sometimes photostatted before all 'copy' and 'dressing' had been added.)

Anyway, a fascinating look at the 'before' and 'after' process I'm sure you'll all agree.  Want to see some more examples?  Then say so in the comments section.


6 comments:

John Pitt said...

Yes please, Kid, to the "more examples"! I don't know WHERE you got the idea to do this series from, but I suspect it might have been the efforts of a very nice bloke?

Kid said...

Well, I HAD done some posts on the subject before, JP (FF #1 being one of them, JIM #83 and TOS #44 being another two), and I would have got around to doing more eventually, but you certainly reminded me of the subject. The main reason I decided to do them now 'though, was to provide you with a good cover image of X-Men #5 for your blog. Ain't I nice?

John Pitt said...

I wouldn't care, but I had already searched your blog for your cover gallery and used that! I've now put all 3 on, to show the transition into the "hybrid" which is on Comic Vine!
I cannot find your '78 Hulk annual though!

Kid said...

The Hulk Annual cover is on Part Four of Comic Covers 'Snap'!, JP. There's another couple of covers there that you may like to use as well.

John Pitt said...

Cheers, Kid, I'll go there next!

Kid said...

Am I good to you or what? (Whaddya mean 'what'?)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...