Tuesday 13 September 2016

SO WHO SAID THE DALEKS ARE SPINELESS?


The DALEKS copyright BBC TV & The Estate of TERRY NATION

Above is the second of three DALEK books issued in the '60s.  Someone lent me all three publications so I can read them and then effect a few repairs where required.  The first book needs very little attention, the third one could do with some spine repair, and the second one's spine was gone, man, solid gone.  Though not for long once I got my hands on it, as you can see.

Trouble was, I didn't have reference to what the original spine looked like when I made the replacement, so that makes this copy of the book unique.  Since I made the repair, I've seen the original spine (see pic below), but I think mine is better-looking.  (Well, I would, wouldn't I!)  Unless the owner would prefer me to do it again, I'll be leaving it as it is.  It certainly looks better than its spineless state, that's for sure.

12 comments:

B Smith said...

Yours is definitely more legible - people often forget about the tonal value of colours.

Kid said...

Mine is lettered by hand, actual size, BS, and is definitely better than no spine at all.

John Pitt said...

What a BRILLIANT job, Kid!
One of a kind! - Literally PRICELESS now!
This post needs to be seen by Dalek fans all over!

Kid said...

As you know, JP, my famous modesty prevents me from blowing my own trumpet (since when, did someone ask?), but I find myself unable to disagree with your accurate assessment.

John Pitt said...

I often think you are TOO modest, Kid!
Ha ha!

Kid said...

Ditto my previous reply, JP.

Phil S said...

Is that Steve Zodiac on the cover?

Kid said...

No, but it looks a bit like him. I'd have to check, but the artist who draws the same character inside may have also worked on some of the Fireball XL5 Annuals, and I'd noticed the similarity myself.

John Pitt said...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0312022646/ref=ya_st_dp_summary
Kid, have you got this one?
If not, click on new & used and get it for a penny!

Kid said...

I don't have that one, JP (unless it's the same one WHS issued - with a different cover), but I can't remember my Amazon details in order to buy it. Ta anyway.

John Pitt said...

http://dalekdatabase.freeforums.net/thread/235/mission-unknown-graphic-novel
Kid, have you ever seen this one?

Kid said...

Nope, never have, JP, but in all honesty, it looks pretty primitive.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...