Wednesday 7 October 2015

KID KLASSICS: KEVIN OR TREVOR? THAT IS THE QUESTION...



Sometime back in February or March of 1985, BOB PAYNTER, group editor of IPC's humour division, asked me if I might have any ideas for a new comic which was in development.  "It's going to be like VIZ, but not quite as rude!" he informed me.  As far as I remember, the comic was an 'out-of-house' production being developed in Manchester (I think - could have been Birmingham) and IPC were only going to print and distribute it through their usual channels.

I turned my mighty brain to the task and soon came up with a daft idea for someone who owned a pair of talking socks.  At first I was going to call him TREVOR, being slightly more alliterative, but decided instead to christen him after KEVIN BRIGHTON, one of the IPC art assistants, who worked at the desk next to mine on the 26th floor of KING'S REACH TOWER.

I was living in Southsea at the time, and I recall as if it were only yesterday, sitting in the cafe on the top floor of Portsmouth's central library, working on the rough of the first (and - so far - only) episode of KEVIN & His TALKING SOCKS.  I duly handed it in to Bob, who sent it off to the OINK boys (for that was the very comic being developed) for consideration.  Some weeks later I asked Bob if he'd had any response, but he hadn't, so we assumed that my strip hadn't found favour and promptly forgot about it.  Several months later, however, I decided to draw up the finished strip - just for my own satisfaction.  Below is a scan of the photocopies I made of the original roughs before giving them to Bob to send on (which were never returned), and which I used as a guide when I drew up the finished page.


Interestingly, some time after OINK hit the stands, a new strip appeared called HECTOR VECTOR & His TALKING T-SHIRT.   Coincidence?  Subliminal influence?  Rip-off?  Don't suppose I'll ever really know, but it certainly gives me pause for thought.  The strip at the top of the page is from the back cover of The ILLUSTRATED COMIC JOURNAL, which was produced in a hurry about twenty years ago - see footnote under the strip for details.

At the risk of overkill, here it is again, in its original, one-page format.  Created, written, pencilled, inked and lettered by myself.  Nice of me to take the blame, don'tcha think?


******

Unfortunately, due to Lew Stringer maliciously implying on another forum that this post contradicts my claim to never having actively sought a career as a strip cartoonist during my lettering years (he's saying I'm lying in other words), it behoves me to emphasize some important points.

1)  Bob Paynter sought my participation, not the other way around. 

2)  Responding to an invitation for ideas is not pursuing an ambition.

3)  Had the idea been accepted (instead of just copied), I would've been unavailable to draw the strip.  My 'involvement' would've ended upon acceptance.  Hopefully that clears things up.

Although at one time I did entertain aspirations to become an adventure comic strip artist, I swiftly abandoned them once my freelance lettering career took off.  I never actively sought any kind of regular or long-term work as an artist on any comic during my fifteen year stint in the industry.

Further details are covered in passing on this post.  No doubt a certain 'someone' will try to manufacture a discrepancy, but everything I have ever said on the subject is completely consistent under scrutiny with the application of just a little contemplative consideration.

8 comments:

Hackney Steve said...

I've been perusing your Crivens 'back issues' and I searched for Bob Paynter - this particular blog of yours brought back some memories that I'd like to share...

Back when I was 18 or so, I sent some strip samples off to IPC. Someone at the careers office had found the contact name Doug Church, and I later discovered that my stuff had been forwarded to Bob Paynter. After hearing nothing back I phoned IPC to find out why (I was a cocky little sod) and was amazed to get through to Bob. I asked if he was the editor of Whizzer & Chips, to which he replied "among other things" and he said that he had my samples and arranged an appointment for me to visit him at their offices in Camden (I still thought it was all happening at Kings Reach Tower).

When I arrived Bob asked me if I had heard of Oink! and I replied that it was an inferior kiddy version of Viz. He responded that was a shame as was going to offer me some work in it (I'm absolutely cringeing as I type this stuff now!)...

Anyway, despite my putting my foot right in it, he asked me to go away and come up with a selection of characters to choose from. He also offered me some resizing (bodging) work if I wanted it. Being an young idiot I concentrated on the chance of strip stardom and didn't apply myself to the exercises he gave me...

After much back and forth I had a page and a half published in the 1990 Oink Summer Collection. The work is shite, and I know it. The publication also coincided with my Nan dying slowly in hospital, so I wasn't as ecstatic as I could have been. Those strips remain my only professional credits, and I kick myself now that I didn't make more of an effort to learn 'bodging', although that wouldn't have lasted much longer - Big Comic and Funny Fortnightly died soon after...

Bob Paynter was charm itself when I visited as a fan, giving me comics to read on the journey home and answering my questions about the artists he'd worked with (I was sorry to hear that Mike Brown had passed on). However, due to my age, I couldn't understand why he was different when I visited about my actual work - he definitely had his 'editor' hat on!

All in all, he was very kind to me and far more patient than he needed to be. Is he still alive and, if so, is there any way of contacting him through you? I have a 'proper' job now, but Bob gave me the chance to join my heroes in print! I'd like to thank him...

Kid said...

That would've been Irwin House you saw him, HS. The staff still used the canteen/restaurant in King's Reach Tower though, and I worked in KRT for a couple of hours in the mornings when I was in London, before trotting along the road to Irwin House when it opened at 8 a.m. (I arrived in London around 6 a.m.)

Bob's an incredibly shy and retiring individual, and when I requested to take a photo of him, he agreed, but struck a pose that hid his most of his face. (The photo's on the blog - type Bob Paynter into the search box.) He politely declined an interview I wanted to do with him many years ago, that's how shy he is. (Or maybe he just didn't want to, though I got on great with him back in the day - always made sure I got plenty of work.)

Terry Bave was looking to get back in touch with Bob, so I made an appeal on the blog and his granddaughter got in touch. She said Bob preferred not to give out his email address (may not have remembered me, possibly), but that she'd forward Terry's contact details to him. If I still have her email address, I'll contact her and see if she'd pass a message on to Bob, either through me or direct from yourself. I'm sure you understand that I don't feel at liberty to give out her email address without her permission.

Maybe she'll read this and pass on your thanks to Bob anyway, but I'll see if her email is still in my inbox. I may not have kept it though. Fingers crossed.

Hackney Steve said...

I completely understand that you couldn't give out his contact details if you have them. I'd just like to let him know what has happened since...never mind the creators credits, the likes of Bob are the behind the scenes unknown heroes of our childhoods. If there is any way to send a 'thank you' through you, I'd appreciate it...

Have you watched those BBC Comics Britannia episodes? In the first one there's an archive scene of IPC editorial looking at possible free gifts and one of them is definitely a younger, dark haired Bob!

Kid said...

Surprisingly, her email was still in my inbox, HS, so I've contacted her to see if it's all right for you to send me a message for Bob, which I'll pass on to her to forward to him.

I saw the clip you speak of a few years back, and was surprised to see Bob, as I'd have thought he was too shy to appear on camera. Maybe it helped that there were other people around to divert sole attention from him.

I'll post a comment here if I get any response from Bob's granddaughter.

Hackney Steve said...

Thanks very much Kid - I'll continue to check here...

Kid said...

No trouble at all, HS.

Kid said...

I've heard back from Bob's granddaughter, HS. If you send the message you want to pass on to Bob, submit it to this comments section. Don't worry, I won't publish it - I'll cut and paste it into an email and send it to Bob's granddaughter. She'll then forward it to Bob. How's that? At least you'll know he got to read it.

Kid said...

That's it now sent, HS, so Bob's guaranteed to see it. As he's getting on in years, he may not respond, but if he does, I'm sure his granddaughter will let me know and I'll let you know.

Incidentally, did you know Robert Laurie in the British Library?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...