Is 'Marvel Comics Were Fun!' worth reading?
Kid has very kindly given me a platform to explain exactly why I think it is.
First of all, some of the greatest comics I've ever read are reviewed here. Moreover, I've also tried to explain those masterpieces' claim to 'greatness', as comics – and almost as literature.
Some examples. One outstanding comic is 'Savage Action' monthly. Two years in conception, Savage Action centred around 'dark avengers', rather than conventional superheroes. Darker stories, for slightly older readers. The dark avengers in Savage Action are Moon Knight, Dominic Fortune, the Punisher, and Nightraven – all enigmatic, mysterious characters. Later, becoming more fluid, Savage Action's roster features Blade, the Man-Thing, and others.
What's so special? All these tales are great and a couple are absolutely outstanding. However...
Savage Action #s 6 & 7 (# 7 is reviewed), featured what is possibly Chris Claremont's greatest story. Accidentally killing a girl, a normally righteous Blade is wracked with guilt, his self-concept broken in pieces. No other comics story, at that time, had the emotional punch or psychological depth of that tale - particularly back then! Absolutely outstanding. My review (pp.197-198) highlights that tale's many merits, for modern readers.
Similarly, 'off-the-scale' in quality writing is Savage Action # 11's outstanding Moon Knight tale. Marc Spector's future lover believes he murdered her father in cold blood. The real culprit, Spector's commander, is a Jungian shadow to Marc, more disturbing than any villain Marvel had featured up to that point (only Carrion is a rival!) That story, like the Blade tale, is absolutely outstanding. In my review (pp.259-263), I unravel the psychological nuances of the tale, to entice the reader to consider reading it! Several Savage Action issues get reviewed in Marvel Comics Were Fun!, the above being a couple of standouts!
John Byrne's excellent Captain America run is featured, too. Other 'great' '70s/'80s runs fell flat at the final hurdle. Or, unwisely, in the finale, they changed a winning art-team. With Captain America's cliffhanger finale against Baron Blood, neither misstep occurred! Another terrific story which I single out for the attention of modern readers!
Another highlight for readers is Daredevil's Golden Era. My intention, with that title, was pure mischief-making!
To most readers, Frank Miller is Daredevil. This irks me, considerably. For myself, Colan & Palmer's Daredevil stories (which I read, aged eight) are where DD's real heart, as a character, is to be found. I review Colan & Palmer's run, pushing back against Frank Miller's perceived exceptionalism, and highlighting Daredevil's great merits – particularly artistically – under Miller's predecessors. I'd pick Daredevil # 90, and Daredevil # 93, as two standouts!
A secondary purpose exists here, too. 'Mighty World Of Marvel' was terrific, where Daredevil tales initially featured in the UK. Leaving those MWOMs unreviewed as individual comics, I at least highlighted DD's merits at that time.
No book can review every favourite comic - it's just not possible. Nevertheless, tangentially, I've often referred to favourite comics, unfeatured as individual issues.
Another highlighted favourite is the Korvac Saga's finale ( Avengers # 177). To some Avengers readers, the ending to Englehart's Kang saga is top. In contrast, I happily review the merits of the finale of Jim Shooter's Korvac Saga as being the strongest. I explain why, to me, Korvac's ending is a masterpiece that has everything, making it the ultimate Avengers finale!
This book, on the whole, is written chronologically. Thus, later Marvel events/storylines, are interpreted in light of earlier stories. The reader gets a sense of how contemporary readers might have reacted to those comics at the time. I've tried to include the exhilaration and enthusiasm of reading the comics contemporaneously, too. Yet uncanny, meaningful personal connections that adults notice, but child readers don't, are also included. For example, my favourite John Byrne issues, uncannily, often have George Perez covers.
So, is Marvel Comics Are Fun! worth a glance? Each of our favourites will differ, based on when we 'jumped in' with Marvel Comics. However, I hope my love for these personal favourites comes through in my writing. Even if your personal favourites are different, in your reading this, I hope my enthusiasm rekindles your own memories and love for Marvel!


No comments:
Post a Comment