Tuesday, 25 August 2026

The RECYCLER - A Character Study...



Given my recent negative experiences with a healthcare company, I thought it appropriate to resurrect this short 'character study', which I wrote quite a number of years ago, maybe even before I started Crivens.  This is set in a hospital, but it easily fits the environment of a care home as well.  Have a read and then leave a comment if you'd be so good.

******

Agnes liked the watch.  It was an expensive one and the woman was dead with no friends or family, so what harm would it do to take it?  She slipped it into the pocket of her uniform and made her way to the hospital canteen.

"After all," she thought, sipping her gin-enhanced tea, "it'll only go to waste.  It's not really stealing, it's... recycling."  She was pleased with this analogy, and a self-satisfied smile spread across her smug face.  "All the work I do, I'm entitled to a few perks."

Agnes was a nasty piece of work.  The kind of person who only 'helped' others so that she could feel superior to them.  "Look at them," she would think, "lying there in their own filth.  I clean them, I fetch and carry for them - they'd be nothing without me."  And thus would she wallow in the misery of others to validate her own existence.  Like a parasite needs its host, Agnes needed the sick and needy.  Her life was nothing without them.  The irony of her needing her patients as much if not more than they needed her was lost on her.  If ever a more selfish, spiteful, sickening and soulless creature strode God's good Earth, their existence was lost to recorded history.

Every act of 'goodness' did not go unannounced.  Every tenuous opportunity to introduce her latest act of 'charity' into a conversation did not go unexploited.  She was her own best public relations officer when it came to relating all her many splendid and 'unselfish efforts' on behalf of the disadvantaged.  It is the nature of vultures to feed off the dead, and Agnes strode the corridors of the dying in much the same way.  She fed off their groans and screams, and drank in their agony.  When they expired, she feasted on the tears and misery of their loved-ones, revelling in the fact that she was in the midst of it all and that it gave purpose to her being.

Like I said... she was a nasty piece of work.

6 comments:

Colin Jones said...

But we don't know if Agnes was nice to the patients or not.

Kid said...

I have to leave some things to your imagination, CJ.

Colin Jones said...

Kid, if Agnes is nice to the patients does it matter if she's nice for her own selfish reasons? If a rich man gives lots of money to charity does it matter if he only gives the money so everyone will think he's a great guy?

Kid said...

Do you get the impression from what I wrote that Agnes is a nice person, CJ? If someone acts nice just so people will think they're nice (or so that no one will suspect they're a wrong 'un), that's deceit, which isn't very nice, is it? Or are you saying that if Agnes 'acts' nice, that somehow absolves her of theft? If it was a staff member who stole a tenner from my mother's purse, is the gravity of that action lessened in any way just because she smiled at my mother as she handed her a cup of tea?

As for the charity question, while it might not matter what the donor's motives are to the charity, it undoubtedly matters in the wider 'scheme of things', wouldn't you say? Acting nice is sometimes only a disguise for people who also do bad things, but who don't want people to know it. What if I stole £1,000 from an elderly person and gave a few hundred quid to charity, either to salve my conscience (or what I had of one) or make folk think I was a great guy? Would you say my theft should be condoned just because a charity benefitted from it?

Colin Jones said...

I didn't say I approved of Agnes or the rich man, Kid!

Kid said...

And I didn't say you did say you approved of them, CJ, though one could argue that you implied a certain lack of disapproval as long as they were 'nice'.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...