Friday 15 March 2024

The MAN With FOUR SKELETONS...


Airfix skeletons, that is.  I've got more than that if I count ones by other makers, but Airfix ones will do for now.  (After all, I have to keep something in reserve for future posts.)  The first one was bought around the late-'60s, from newsagent's R.S. McColl's in the shops across the road from me.  The manager was Mr. Smith, who'd been manager of a newsagent's called Chamber's in a previous neighbourhood in which I'd lived.  'Twas he from whom I'd purchased my TV21s in the mid-'60s, and 'twas also he from whom, a few years later in my then-current area, I'd bought Countdown, containing reprints of some of the same strips from TV21.

But that's by-the-by.  The second skeleton I bought (again from McColl's) came in a longer box as it included a metal rod by which the wall mount could be transformed into a display stand for Skelly to hang upon while resting his feet as he did so.  The first box had been smaller and mostly black, but the second version was longer and largely blue-ish, with a different illustration of 'Mr. Bones'.  I must've had 3 or 4 skeletons at different times over the next few years, but they each eventually vanished as most childhood playthings do - sometimes without you even realising they've gone until much later.  (The last one I had as a kid was in 1969.)

I bought a replacement skeleton in the late '80s or early '90s, which I've still got, but I couldn't resist the allure of them and have bought another couple in the last few years, each one being the longer box version.  Today, at Castel Crivens, a replacement arrived for the very first one I owned, the smaller black box kit, renewing my memories of when I obtained my first one.  If my powers of recollection yet serve, it was on a day when my mother, with me in tow, visited a sort of jumble sale in the Murray Hall, held by my grandparents' Darby & Joan club, of which they were members, though not in attendance that day.

'Twas there I also received a certificate for some flower bulbs I'd planted, as well as buying several unboxed Marx Dalek Rolykins, which I stored in Skelly's box until we returned home.  First, though, we visited my nearby grandparents to show off my certificate, which I still have to this day (somewhere).  The photo heading this post is of my late '80s/early '90s skeleton, which is the only one I've built - the others remain unassembled in their boxes.  The other photos I've culled from the Internet to save me having to scan my own boxes, as I'm a lazy b*gg*h who prefers taking the easy option whenever possible.

After all, there's no guarantee that any of you will actually read this post, so why should I knock myself out preparing it?  (To which you could reply "Why should we bother reading it if you don't knock yourself out preparing it, eh?"  Oh, I'm a fool to myself, giving you the ammunition with which to shoot me down!)  So, did any of you have an Airfix skeleton when you were kids?  If so, share your reminiscences of building your bony friend with the rest of us.  ("It's alive!")

11 comments:

Andrew May said...

The thing I love about this blog is the way you keep reminding me of things from my chidhood that I'd completely forgotten, Kid. I had dozens and dozens of Airfix models, mainly spacecraft and aircraft, that I have vivid recollections of, but I also had one of these skeletons which had completely slipped my mind until now. Unlike your fantastic memory for such things though, I have no idea when and where I acquired it, or even what box it came in. I would guess it was around 1970 or 1971.

Kid said...

Yours would've been the longer blue box version, AM, unless you got lucky and got old unsold stock of the earlier version. The black box kit came out around 1965 (though appeared in a 1964 catalogue for upcoming models) and the blue box came out towards the end of the '60s, maybe the start of the '70s (though I think the former). I don't think I ever had a huge amount of models when I was a kid, but I certainly had several, mainly Airfix and Aurora. I've acquired replacements for the most memorable ones I had (or wanted) when I was younger. Ta for the kind remarks about the blog.

Kid said...

I've just remembered (and added to the post) that the last Skelly I recall buying as a kid was bought in 1969 and that was in the longer box, AM, so that'll most likely be the one you had if it was bought new, unless, as I said, some shop had old stock of the previous version sitting on its shelves.

Andrew May said...

Thanks Kid - I can't say the blue box rings any bells, but there's no particular reason why it should, as I would have got rid of it as soon as I'd constructed the model. So I'm sure you're right that it's the one I had. Perhaps some day when I'm stuck for anything better to do, I'll try making a list of all the Airfix models I used to have. I'd guess there were at least 50 of them!

Kid said...

I remember one of my pals giving me an Airfix (I think) kit of a futuristic-looking racing car for my birthday back in the late '60s or start of the '70s, but I don't know what model of car it was. I think I'd recognise it if I saw it though, and if I ever do, I'll buy it. I don't think I ever had anywhere near as many as 50 different model kits in my life, probably not even half that or near it. Think I'll try making a list too.

McSCOTTY said...

I don't recall Airfix skeletons at all. I had a few aeroplanes (Spitfire, Hurricane , Lancaster bomber etc) a few tanks and a couple of warships.

Kid said...

So you had no backbone, eh? (Oh, I'm so funny.)

baggsey said...

Those rolykins Daleks fetch a pretty penny these day, particularly if they have the original boxes.

Kid said...

I've got 6 of them, B. One has its original box, 5 have professionally printed repro boxes that are practically indistinguishable from the originals.

baggsey said...

I have no idea what happened to my Rolykins Daleks, or the larger Marx Dalek with the friction motor that causes sparks inside the Dalek. I used to keep all the boxes as a kid. Presumably I was persuaded to donate them to needy children via St Simons Sunday school. Glad you managed to hang on to yours.

Kid said...

Sadly, I didn't hang on to mine, B. The ones I have now are replacements, but I've had them far longer than I had the originals.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...