Monday 27 November 2023

SO (I repeat), WHAT ARE YOUR CONDITIONS?


My very own, almost-pristine, FANTASTIC Annual for 1968

Regarding my vast collection of various Annuals, not all of them are anywhere near almost brand-new condition, with others having obvious tell-tale signs of wear (and thus age) about them.  With Annuals, as with anything I collect, I tend to take what I can get when I can get it, and replace it later if a better condition one comes along, depending on price obviously.  As an aside, I've still got my copy of BEEB #1 that I bought down in Southsea/Portsmouth in 1985, but I noticed one on eBay a while back in mint condition, still with original free gift.  It sold for something like £2.50, but then up popped another one for sale at the ridiculous price of £40. (Maybe it's the one that cost £2.50, and the buyer was trying to make a tidy profit by selling it on right away.)  That's why I'm cautious (sometimes) about paying big bucks for something, because s*d's law says that a cheaper, better one will come along eventually. (Though in the case of Beeb #1, it happened in reverse on this occasion.)

I notice that when I'm lucky enough to buy an old item in pristine condition, especially when it's something I had new as a kid, that particular period seems not so far away, whereas if the item displays signs of age, then the period seems much further back in time.  Unless, of course, I acquired the original object from a jumble sale and it already looked old, in which case, because the replacement looks no worse than the original did when I first got it, that time doesn't seem so far removed as it otherwise would.  (Anyone following that, or am I far too obscure?)  It would be great to have everything I own looking as if it were brand-new, but at times I just have to settle for what my funds allow for.  Sometimes, a better-condition item will come along and I'll pass, because the not-so-good one has been in my possession for so many years that I've come to accept its imperfections and am exceedingly loath to part with it.  Admittedly, there have been occasions when I've bought another, better one and just kept both.

So what's your view on this if you're an eager collector of old items you had in your youth?  Is condition paramount to you, or not so important?  And, like me, does a replacement's condition influence your impression of how long ago you had the original?  If any of the above makes any sense to you, feel free to record your thoughts, theories and fancies in the comments section.

4 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I’m not that bothered about the condition of any old comics I pick up as long as they are clean (although I have picked up a few comics with half a cover and the odd page missing) . My decision on purchasing any old comic is firstly based on cost as I won’t pay ridiculous money for a comic book. I will however always try to get one that’s in decent condition as long as the price isn’t that high compared to a copy of the same comic in a slightly worse condition – if the better conditioned comic costs too much I’m more than happy to pick up the tatty cheaper version. I have been lucky enough to repurchased comics from my youth for decent money that were in what I consider to be pretty decent condition.

Kid said...

I must confess that I've paid quite high prices for some replacement comics, McS, but with a few UK Marvel weeklies I bought recently, I paid more modest (and respectable) prices and just applied my restoration skills to them if required. Nothing major, so they'll do me 'til I win 70 squillion quid on the Lottery.

baggsey said...

I must confess that I have used eB*y to buy back a few old annuals and Hot Wheels/Corgi Rockets cars from my youth, but I'm always a bit disappointed that the ones within my budget are of lesser condition that the items I had as a child. I always kept my die-cast toys and books in excellent condition (along with the boxes), so pretty much everything I replace is a poor replacement for the original. I sold all my annuals, comic collection, Corgi, Dinky and Matchbox toys around 1983 in an effort to build up enough for a deposit on my first flat. In retrospect, I should have held on to a few items

Kid said...

Some of the Annuals and toys I had as a kid were bought from jumble sales, B, and weren't in perfect condition when I got them. As long as the replacements aren't in worse condition than the 2nd-hand originals, I can live with them until better ones come along. I'd much prefer to have everything I own in a pristine state right from the start of re-acquisition though.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...