Saturday 26 August 2023

GET READY FOR ACTION - In A 'Knock-Off' Capacity...


Still to get him a jacket and boots

If memory serves (memory backed up by checkable data), my family holidayed in Rothesay back in June of 1970.  While there, I bought a cheap Action Man 'knock-off', but whose face was the double of AM's nearest rival, Tommy Gunn.  Its arms were rubber with wire inside, though the legs bent in the traditional 'riveted' manner, while the torso didn't move at all.  For some now long-forgotten reason, I'd taken a pair of boots from Pedigree's Captain Scarlet figure with me on holiday and fitted them to the figure, but due to them being so tight and inflexible, I inadvertently pulled off its feet when trying to remove the red-hued footwear.

After retrieving the feet, I angrily threw the boots into the sea from Rothesay Pier, an act which still makes me recoil in horror at my callousness even after all this time.  (Luckily, I've now got two replacement pairs.)  I tried a hardware store in Rothesay and managed to make a temporary repair with a couple of small nuts and bolts, similar to ones in a Meccano set.  At a later stage, back home, I took the figure along to the lockup of a friend of my brother's (while he was there) to see if the feet could be pop-riveted back on.  No success, so the ankle nuts and bolts remained for however long I retained the figure, though I no longer recall just how long that was.

I was only 11 years old at the time, which nowadays would no doubt be considered far too old to own an action figure, but I was unapologetically still a mere child who, subconsciously at least, steadfastly refused to grow up.  But wait, I'm perhaps overstating the case; it's probably more likely that I was just blissfully unaware that I should - grow up I mean.  The following year we holidayed in Largs, where I bought yet another action figure - a superior one to its predecessor - and it strikes me as odd that the last two action figures I ever purchased as a youth were both bought when I was on holiday.  Thirteen years were to pass before I bought another one, and that was a brand-new Action Man I got for half price (£7 or thereabouts) from a local R.S. McColl's in 1984.  I still have it too, though it's not shown here.


Why buy it at that age?  Because it was reported in the newspapers that Palitoy had recently announced they were no longer going to produce 12 inch action figures as they felt kids were no longer interested in them.  I therefore decided to obtain one as a memento of what seemed to me - drama merchant that I was - to be a passing era.  However, a new 12 inch version of Action Man returned in the early '90s, this time made by Hasbro, the original manufacturer of G.I. Joe in 1964, who was renamed in the UK as Action Man a mere two years later.

Around four years back I managed to acquire a replacement for the 1971 figure (above), and just a few days ago, I also got my hands on a replacement for the one from 1970 (top of post).  (Remarkably, the wire in the arms remains unbroken.)  The rivets through his ankles were a little bent and corroded, and didn't quite close over properly on the inside - so I removed them as both joints were slightly loose.  Isn't it odd that 53 years after the fact, I detached the second figure's feet (though this time deliberately) as I had with the first one?  I used a couple of plastic 'pegs' from a couple of spare parts to re-attach the feet, which will serve until I find some spare metal rivets, though, truth to tell, it would be fine just as it is.

Any point to this post?  Not really, I just wanted to say how pleased I am that I've managed to reclaim yet another item from childhood and, by doing so, feel closer-connected to that long-gone period of my past, which, sometimes when I'm caught unawares, doesn't really seem that long ago at all.  However, the spell (for that's what it is) is a gossamer one, and it only takes the slightest intrusive distraction to shatter it and return me to the present.  At least until the next time the spell holds sway - these are the moments I live for.

4 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

I have too gathered mementos of youth. I love them, not so much because often I didn't have them, but I lusted for them severely. I still don't own a Captain Action but have come close to buying one more than a few times. And your story made me remember a Major Matt Mason figure I had as a kid and which I hobbled when I snapped the wire in his little rubber leg. Tragic moment.

Kid said...

Major Matt Mason wouldn't be allowed in his original form nowadays, RJ, because of the wire in his limbs. It would be considered a safety hazard because the wire broke and sometimes protruded through the rubber. Also, the paint peeled off within hours, leaving poor Matt and his cronies looking like old toys within a few days. Still a great toy while it lasted though, eh?

I bought myself a couple of the Playing Mantis (I think it was) reissues of Captain Action 20-odd years ago because, like you, I coveted one as a kid, but never had one. I'm sure there are other toys I coveted when I was younger, and I'm now lucky enough to have acquired them as an adult. Too old to play with any of my toys, of course, but the simple joy of ownership is enough for me.

McSCOTTY said...

How awful would it be if indeed today's 11 years olds are considered to be too old to enjoy toys, surely another year or so isn't bad. I never liked Tommy Gunn being an Action Man fan and only ever had one of them. I loved those Major Matt Mason ads in US comics.

Kid said...

Unfortunately, I fear that the 11 year-olds of today are a different breed to what they were in our day, McS. Computer games seem to have taken over from the toys that we knew, and I suspect that contemporary kids of that age group just aren't interested, in the main, in model kits, toy cars, action figures, etc. At least not in the numbers that were once the case.

Talking of Major Matt Mason, I have three Matts, three Callistos, one Doug Davis and one Sgt. Storm, plus more accessories than I ever had back in the day. Looking back, a great toy, but it wouldn't cut the mustard today, sadly.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...