Monday 1 May 2023

SOMETHING (COMPLETELY) WICKED THIS WAY COMES... (BUT DOESN'T HANG AROUND FOR LONG!)


Copyright MARVEL COMICS and relevant and respective owners

I don't recall even knowing about this comic back in 1989, so it was a surprise when I saw it on eBay recently.  A Marvel first issue is usually not to be sneezed at, so I've now added it to my collection and thought you might like to see the complete contents.  It lasted for only 17 issues, but it doesn't impress me enough to make me want to track down the other 16.  What do you make of it, fellow Crivvies?

As you can see, some of the pages have a sparsity of panels and the lettering is too large, leading me to wonder if they were originally intended to be for a digest-sized periodical.  (Think DCT's Commando mags or early issues of IPC's Nipper comic.)  Would you have bought this publication 34 years ago if you were in the age range it was aimed at?  (Or even today, in fact.)  Let rip in the comments section.

(Click on images to enlarge, then click again for optimum size.)

















9 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I remember seeing this comic in W H Smiths at the time. I looked through it but even for a kids comic, it looked pretty bland, tame and dated. I assume they were counting on Slimer selling the book.

Kid said...

I reckon so, McS, as it looks like Slimer was included to compensate for the other the strips, which, as you say, were 'bland, tame, and dated'. And too many pages looked just too bare, containing what was really only half a page of material.

McSCOTTY said...

Imagine folk like Ken Reid, Leo Baxendale etc working on those strips how amazing would Ken Reids "Slimer" art look?

Kid said...

Yes, that would've improved it no end, McS. And Reg Parlett too.

Colin Jones said...

Wow, Marvel UK had certainly changed since the days of MWOM, SMCW and POTA.

Kid said...

And not necessarily for the better, eh, CJ?

John Pitt said...

I often used to pick up any "alternative" comics that I came across around that period, but I too never saw this one. I have heard about it in more recent times on the Starlogged blog (and possibly Two Headed Thingies as well?).
Marvel UK was well and truly on its last legs by this time. Sad days in the comic world with the US DC's and Marvels disappearing from our newsagents as well.

Terranova47 said...

Thank you for posting this. I had no idea that Marvel UK ever produced a typical 'British Funny' as opposed to reworking US superheroes. Even their Captain Britain wasn't a 'British Style' comic.

Kid said...

It would be interesting to see whether I ever lettered any strips for this comic and have simply forgotten, JP, as I lettered some for The Real Ghostbusters every now and again. I think Helen Stone was the editor for that one as well.

******

I don't remember the comic at all, T47, unless I've simply forgotten it. Like I say above, I could even have lettered some pages, but I wouldn't necessarily have known what comic they were intended for. I suppose Marvel UK have to be given credit for trying something different (for them, that is).



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...