Sunday 30 October 2022

FAVOURITE COMICS OF THE PAST - PART SIXTY - FANTASTIC FOUR #55...

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Behold The Silver Surfer on the comic's cover above.  Assuming that I purchased my original copy of this issue of Fantastic Four in its proper numerical sequence (which I can't 100% swear to due to the erratic nature of distribution back in the '60s), I suspect that this was my very first exposure to the erstwhile sky-riding herald of Galactus, who I next encountered in FF #s 57-60.  Having said that, it's always possible I had the latter four issues (or some of them) before #55, due to some US comics turning up on UK shores months, sometimes even years, after they were first published.  However, in an attempt to keep things simple, we'll give events the benefit of the doubt and assume I acquired this issue within its proper time frame.

There were two nearby shops from where I could've purchased this issue.  One was R.S. McColl's across the road from my house, and the other was Corson's*, a little further up the road in a different street, but I'm pretty sure it was from Corson's I acquired the title under consideration.  Bear in mind the significance of this ish; it was the first time the Surfer had made a return appearance since his debut in the 'Galactus Trilogy' (FF #48-50), so it's now regarded as a pretty hot comic among collectors, and the cost of obtaining one in a condition as good as the one featured here certainly reflects that.  Y'know, I've got several reprintings of this tale, but I simply had to own an original again to replace the one I had as a kid, which is why I recently reclaimed it into my possession.

(*Funnily enough, there was also a branch of Corson's next to the newsagent's across from my house, but that Corson's didn't have a spinner-rack of US comics for me to browse through, so I had to trek slightly further afield.)

Back then, I remember looking through the comic (after buying it) as I approached my house, and certain interior images now trigger memories of the street and surrounding environs as they were in my day.  Once again, the view of the horizon as it then was from the top of the road where stood my home meets my gaze, and long-departed (flitted, emigrated, or deceased) neighbours and friends yet live there, and go about their daily doings as they did so long ago when I was a mere boy.  Truly, comics can be a doorway into the past in such a tangible way that I'm glad I fell under their spell so many decades ago.  (I just wish it weren't quite so many decades.)

Anyway, that's more than enough self-indulgent guff from me, so enjoy the pretty piccies and remember your own personal recollections of this classic from yesteryear - if you were fortunate enough to own it.  And should you feel like sharing them with your fellow Crivvies, then you know where the comments section is.




3 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I remember reading this story in Mighty World of Marvel when it was reprinted there. I recently managed to pick up a really tatty ( as in falling apart) copy of FF annual issue 5 from around this time with the first (I think) SS solo strip.

Strangely , for a really popular comic I don't recall seeing any FF comics on sale in the 1960s unless they simply weren't on my radar at the time. I do remember picking up a UK Fantastic Four annual ( by Granddreams or similar) as part of a Christmas present for my mate in the late 1960s but it wasn't until Marvel UK ( I didn't read there strip when it was in Wham!)that I really started to take any notice of the FF comic, my loss

Kid said...

Yeah, McS, it would've been printed in two parts in MWOM. Can't recall whether I've got those particular issues or not. The SS story in FF Annual #5 is indeed regarded as the first 'solo' story, but I'm not mad keen on Kirby's art on it - Buscema was the man. FF #55 (and 57-60) was the last time, I think, that Jack managed to imbue a grace and fluidity into the Surfer's figure (in some panels). After that, ol' Norrin became a bit stiff and stilted under Jack's hand.

If you have a UK FF Annual from the '60s, it's more than likely to be published by World Distributors, as I have a couple of them myself. I suspect that Marvel's FF was a popular comic that sold quickly in the '60s, 'cos I only ever saw not much more than a handful of them myself.

Kid said...

Oops, meant to say that #55 was the backup FF tale in Origins Of Marvel Comics back in the '70s. Unfortunately, there was a bit of clumsy 'restoration' on it, and the corner page numbers were deleted without much finesse.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...