Saturday 8 October 2022

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Fantastic Four #224 was given an extra number of strip-pages, but with the tale already having been prepared with a lower page-count, reprints of pin-ups were used to fill the void.  (The next issue, #225, had a longer tale.)  I've published the fourth pin-up out-of-sequence (above) as I'm a big Susie Storm fan (and ladies first, right?), but I now realise I've got this pin-up several times over.  It first appeared in FF #10, which I've got, Fantastic #17, which I've also got, and MWOM #11 - yep, got that one as well.  The page has also been reprinted in Marvel MasterworksOmnibus and Epic Collection volumes (all of which I have) so I'm not short of this particular image.

Anyway, thought you all might like to see the extra pages from FF #224, just in case you don't have the issue yourselves.






Cover of issue in which the feature page pin-ups were reprinted

8 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I remember some of those pages when they were reprinted in the early issues of MWOM . I like that "FF as the are now" page, that would be a good cover\poster.

Kid said...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing myself about that 'FF now' page, McS. Who knows, it might happen yet (if it hasn't already).

Colin Jones said...

And the "FF as they are now" is over 40 years ago!

Kid said...

Yeah, scary thought, CJ, eh? The FF mag wasn't even 20 years old when that particular issue came out.

Rip Jagger said...

Love the vintage stuff. I was not a fan of this era of the Fab 4. The book was lackluster in my opinion during this run. Perhaps I compare it unfairly to the outstanding Byrne run which was soon to lift off.

Kid said...

I never saw any of the FF mags between the late '70s and Byrne's stint as writer/artist, RJ, and didn't think I'd missed much. However, having recently acquired a number of issues I never previously had, I've been pleasantly entertained by them. They weren't as underwhelming (for the most part) as I thought they'd be.

baggsey said...

The pin-up of the (presumably rejected) cover of FF #3 is perhaps one of the worst FF covers, and pales even more in comparison to the iconic cover that replaced it. It makes you wonder how many comics had covers rejected in those early years of the Bronze Age.

Kid said...

There were several I think, not just FF covers, but Spider-Man and Thor covers also. Incidentally, the Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers credit is for the published cover (note that Kirby has given The Torch two left hands), the rejected one was inked by Sol Brodsky.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...