Sunday 3 April 2022

THE DYNAMIC DOZEN - FANTASTIC FOUR X 12... (UPDATED)

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

For many years, I've owned the first eight Fantastic Four Annuals/Specials, and recently decided to acquire the next four to round them up to an even dozen.  At the risk of repeating myself ('cos I showed you the first eight in 2012, and two of my newly acquired four in the previous two posts), I thought you might like to see them all in one place for the sake of convenience.  Jack Kirby's art graces nine of the twelve covers (though one is a reprint from the monthly mag), John Romita does two, followed by John Buscema on the last one.

The next Annuals I own in the sequence are #16 up to #20 (and a few after that), so I may well purchase #13-15 so that I've got the first twenty (at least) in an unbroken run.  Time (and money) will tell, but you'll be the first to know after me.  As you can see, they aren't all in pristine condition, but the only one I actually had as a kid was #7 (though this one's a later replacement) and that's in pretty good nick (as is #3).  It's interesting to note that only eight issues out of the first twelve contain any new material.

Any of you Crivvies ever have any of these Annuals/Specials back in the day, and if so, what did you think of them?  The comments section awaits your esteemed presence.  And if you have a favourite cover (or covers), don't keep it a secret - let the rest of us know (or I'll come round to your house and bash you with a rolled-up Beano).


The Wedding of Sue and Reed - first time around


This image was 'borrowed' from my blog for a TwoMorrows book


This one reprints the main tale from Annual #2

And this ish reprints the main story from Annual #1

This ish reprints Reed and Sue's wedding from Annual #3.  Pages 7 & 8 have been omitted

This ish also reprints the wedding, but this time omits the original's page 20.  Also reprinted is the
main tale from Annual #4, with page 9 omitted.  In each case, both pages are full page 'splashes'

Jack's first (and last) new FF Annual cover since #7 in 1969

13 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

My first FF annual was number six featuring the debut of Annihilus and the birth of Franklin, the last original material one for over a decade. I didn't much mind the switch to reprints since I'd seen none of that stuff before. It was always so cool in summer to find extra books of extra length with my favorite heroes. These days annuals if they exist at all disappear into the miasma of special issues and incessantly rebooted series. There's no chance for something as special as a "King-Size" annual to stand out. I cannot make up my mind as to whether the most important annual for Marvel was the first for the Fab 4 or Spider-Man (a facsimile of which is due out this week I think). I think in the end despite the exquisite artistry of Spidey's debut annual, the nod must go to the FF.

Rip Off

Kid said...

I remember looking through #6 in a newsagent's in December 1968 (14th or 15th I think), but I didn't buy it, getting Superboy #146 instead, along with X-Men #45 - both bought for me by my brother with some of his birthday money. I bought the recent facsimile when it came out, though was disappointed it was stapled instead of 'square-bound'. I've got the first Spidey Annual and the facsimile is already ordered and paid for, so I'm looking forward to it arriving. I sometimes wonder how I can get so excited about upcoming comics I've already got, but I'm grateful that something can still get my pulse racing a bit faster. What would life be like with nothing to look forward to, RJ? Thank goodness for comics - old ones especially, and new printings of old ones.

Colin Jones said...

I never saw any US Marvel annuals on sale ever. None. Woe is me :(

But I did read the wedding of Reed & Sue in FF Pocket Book #1 in 1980.

Kid said...

That's definitely a deprived childhood you had, CJ; no Marvel Annuals - ever? I'm astonished.

I still have my original FFPB, purchased a staggering 42 years ago. (Surely I'm not THAT old?!)

B Smith said...

How abridged is the Reed/Sue wedding reprint in the latter editions?

Just a panel here and there or entire pages?

Kid said...

Entire pages I'm sure, BS, without digging them out again to check. 2 pages in #9, one in #10 - going by the page count. When next I look, I'll check to see if any panels from different pages have been edited and/or combined.

Colin Jones said...

On the subject of 42 years, Kid - today is exactly 42 years since I started buying US Marvel comics regularly. I'd previously bought them only rarely but on Saturday, April 5th 1980 (which was also Easter Saturday) I started buying US Marvels every month until around the end of 1983 when I stopped buying comics altogether (I eventually started again in 2007). Those Marvels dated April 1980 cost 12p each so I bought 8 for £1.

Kid said...

Ah, the good old days, CJ, when comics were inexpensive and a pound went a long way. I started buying US comics in the '60s, but it was a bit of a hit-and-miss affair due to the spotty distribution.

Dave S said...

Had a nice copy of #6 once upon a time. I think it was in the pile of Silver Age stuff that I sold to Arthur of Arthur's Comics when he had his wee shop in the arcade off Byres Road.

Kid said...

De Courcy's Arcade - knowing Arthur, you wouldn't have got much for them. The tale was reprinted (minus a page) in The Titans Annual for 1978. Did you buy the facsimile edition of #6, DS? Nice to have.

Dave S said...

I missed that Facsimile unfortunately, but there are some good 'uns coming up this month that I have my eyes on- Amazing Spider-Man 1 and the first annual, and Spectacular 1 with its wonky M in the logo. :)

Kid said...

I've already bought and paid for ASM #1 and ASM Annual #1 (even though I have the originals), but I can't remember whether there's already been a PPSSM #1 facsimile or not. I thought I'd bought one, but maybe it's the True Believers version I've got. Off to eBay to check.

Kid said...

BS, see captions under the comics in question for the info you require.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...