Saturday 12 March 2022

SUPERMAN GOES LARGE - COVER GALLERY...


Copyright DC COMICS

I find myself slightly confused when I look at these Superman covers, Crivvies, the reason being that I bought some of them while living in one house, and the rest of them after flitting to another - but not all in the sequence they were issued.  (I'm not exactly sure where I was living when I got one comic, as it fits into my memory of either house.)  So for example, I purchased #247 while living in house 'A', but bought #245 while living in house 'B' - but what do you care about that?  I just find it odd that my memory flits from one house to another depending on which issue I'm looking at, as some weren't acquired in their original order.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there - I just thought I'd strike while the iron is hot following the previous post and show you some more 52 page mags (though a couple of them say 48 pages as they obviously weren't counting the covers), plus a couple of 100-pagers for good measure.  Although not all originally obtained in their sequential order, I've displayed them numerically as that's clearly the sensible way to do things.  None of these issues are my originals of course, but I've now owned some of the replacements for up to 40 years, which is far longer (by an immense margin) than I ever had their predecessors.

Did you have any of these great story-packed comics back in the day, and if so, what memories do you attach to them?  Share your reminiscences in the comments section for the enlightenment and entertainment of your fellow Crivvies. 












5 comments:

Colin Jones said...

I remember reading that when Christopher Reeve told his father he'd got the role of Superman, his dad thought he meant the play 'Man And Superman' by George Bernard Shaw.

McSCOTTY said...

Brilliant covers from my favourite Superman period. I have or had most of these. 241 and 242 are great Adams covers and the comics themselves are really good cp. I 've been trying to pick up issue 247 for some time as I lost my copy several years ( decades) ago so it's on my list to buy when I head down South in a few weeks. Issue 251 is one that I remember seeing advertised in thoses half page DC adverts and I always wanted that as the cover looked so good, sadly I never saw it on sale at the time.

Kid said...

Ah, poor old Christopher Reeve, CJ. He really brought Superman and Clark Kent to life, didn't he?

******

I know you don't like ebay, McS, but you can get 247 and 251 for £11.95 and £9.95 (respectively) right at this moment. (I've just checked.) Yeah, Superman was really good at this time, but he's a whole different bag of spiders nowadays.

Fantastic Four follower said...

Hope everyone is keeping well.Great post as usual.People say Kirby was the quickest artist of them all but Neal Adams must have held some sort of covers record at DC......he was everywhere!

Kid said...

And everyone hopes you're keeping well too, TF. Adams did a great job on the covers, but I find that I like the Swan/Anderson ones just as much when it comes to Superman. I think they're all pretty impressive.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...