Thursday 18 November 2021

LEN WEIN/KELLEY JONES SWAMP THING COVER GALLERY (UPDATED)...

Copyright DC COMICS

The six part Swamp Thing series from 2016 (the first ish went on sale in December 2015), marked the return of co-creator/writer Len Wein to the character (outside of his role as editor), and seemed to ignore what Alan Moore did to the 'muck-encrusted mockery of a man' during his celebrated run back in the '80s.  There, Moore revealed that Alec Holland had died following the laboratory explosion that engulfed him, and that Swamp Thing was, essentially, a plant/vegetable entity which had absorbed (due to the bio-restorative formula) the 'essence' of his consciousness, or at least a facsimile of it.

I'm not sure if Wein's reaction to this change was ever recorded, but in this six part series, he appears to reverse Moore's idea (or at least minimalize it) by having the swamp creature declare on the second-last page - "I've learned which skin I wear really makes no difference.  Covered in moss or flesh, I am who I am..."  "My name is Holland.  Doctor Alec Holland."   (In stark contrast to Moore having him say "Alec Holland is dead.  He died... many years ago... in an explosion.  But it... has taken him... a long time... to lie down.  He's gone now.  He's... at rest..."  "I am... the Swamp Thing.")

Personally, I think Moore's idea was extremely clever, even inspired, but I prefer the Swamp Thing as Holland, as opposed to a mere 'echo' of him.  Not, I don't think, that Wein was restating Swampy was a transformed Holland*, only that what made him who he is in respect to how he thought and reacted to those around him, was a perpetuation of the human being who'd preceded him - in 'soul' if not in flesh.

(*Although, having just re-read the series and refreshed my memory, there are indications which seem to suggest he may've been doing precisely that.)

Anyway, that's enough of the 'deep' stuff.  Let's enjoy these half dozen images together.  And if you have any thoughts, theories, or observations about Swampy, feel free to share them in the comments section.   





6 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

After finally reading the Moore Swamp Things just a month ago, I must say I don't much distinction between the two interpretations. Moore's version does set up the fact that Swampy becomes adept at making use of "The Green" to expand his powers, but I don't see that couldn't have been done with the original interpretation. I think Moore was interested in the relationship between Swampy and Abigail and making him primarily a plant and not a man does amp up the perverse nature of that coupling I guess. Since Wein edited the Moore stuff when he opted to do the changes he must have accepted them at the time and even says as much I think in a preface to one of the volumes. Wanting to get it back to his original visions suggests to me that he sees like I do and it doesn't really make much difference in the end.

Kid said...

Well, Moore made a point in emphasizing that Swampy WASN'T Holland so much as an echo of him, which I think is a significant change to the core of the character, but you're right in that Holland/Swampy could still have done all of Moore's 'green' stuff had Moore wanted that. However, Moore's idea of the Swamp Thing probably makes Swampy unique, as Alex Olsen was a transformed human, though I don't know about all of the other Swamp Things throughout history.

The one thing that Moore's change DID do was to alter the readers' (most of them anyway) concept of the character. It certainly did mine.

McSCOTTY said...

I had that first issue which I got in a pack of 4 comics for £1. Akthough I like Kelley Jones art I didn't think his style suited Swamp Thing

Kid said...

I've just finished re-reading them a few minutes ago, McS, and I found that I didn't mind the art, though I was originally disappointed that the series wasn't drawn by Bernie Wrightson when I first got it back in 2016. (Not sure whether he was still alive back then or not.)

Warren JB said...

For better or worse, the Moore run was my introduction to - and comprises most of my experience of - the Swamp Thing. (There were, what, two 21st C. reboots prior to this 2016 version? Neither held my attention long) I would have to agree that Alan Moore's retcon wasn't entirely necessary for the whole plant elemental angle, but I think it made for some interesting character arcs, as 'Alec's' world falls apart, he lets go of his old hope of returning to humanity (literally burying the real Alec's remains) and builds a new identity and role for himself.

That's the thing I prefer about stories of superpowered people: how they react to their powers and circumstances. Questions about 'who can beat up who' and 'how many hectares of forest fire can X put out with one nostril' started to bore me years ago. Though I hasten to add that melodramatics bore me too, and I appreciate mighty feats as much as the next nerd.

Agreed with McScotty: I'm spoiled by Steve Bisette's(?) gnarly, disgustingly detailed style. Jones' Swamp Thing looks a bit too solid and smooth for my tastes.

I should really check out the original Len & Bernie run. I feel like my comics education isn't complete without it.

Kid said...

Oh, you really should check them out, WJB, they're excellent - and what I'd call the definitive Swamp Thing. Alfredo Alcala's run was good as well, but perhaps not quite as dark as Bernie Wrightson's. (He used to call himself Berni, but added an 'e' some years back.) I reckon you'd be able to get one of the reprint volumes (or the five issue reprint series from sometime in the '80s) without breaking the bank.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...