Monday 23 August 2021

IT'S A MADHOUSE AROUND HERE...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Around 1979 there was a TV show called Freddie Starr's Variety Madhouse, which soon morphed into Russ Abbot's Madhouse due to main man Freddie's unpredictability and unreliability.  I'm uncertain as to which version was on the go at the time Marvel Madhouse first went on sale, but obviously the title was 'inspired' by the TV show.  Basically, the comic regurgitated Not Brand Echh tales and I don't recall how many issues Madhouse ran for, but I only have the first three.  Is that where I stopped, or did I have further issues which I later gave to a pal?  Can't recall, is the short answer to that one.  Anyway, I showed you the cover of #1 in the previous post, so here's the remaining two in my collection. 

6 comments:

Dave S said...

I loved Russ Abbot's shows. Don't see much of him on the telly these days though.

There is a celebrity tattoo artist in America called Russ Abbott with two t's, which must be confusing for anyone in the US who is aware of "our" Russ!

Kid said...

I liked Russ and his group - was it the Black Abbots? I also liked the Grumbleweeds. I thought our Russ had two 't's in his surname, so I'll fix that right now.

Dave S said...

Yeah, he was the drummer in the Black Abbots. Never see any of his old shows being repeated on any of the hundreds of channels these days though, hopefully that gets rectified at some point!

Kid said...

Only the drummer? I seem to remember him being the singer as well, DS. Or is my memory playing tricks on me again?

Andrew L said...

Is it ok for me to say I preferred the Barron Knights

Kid said...

Why not? It's in keeping with your tendency to try and be different.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...