Thursday 2 July 2020

SO YOU THINK I'M FINISHED WITH THE SPACE BLIMP OF CHRISTMAS?! WELL, JUST HOW WRONG CAN YA BE?!


One of the things that appeals to me about my recently acquired SPACE BLIMP Of CHRISTMAS is the fact that, apart from being taken out of its box for the seller to photograph for his eBay listing, it's remained unopened and unplayed with since it was first bought sometime back in the '60s.  It's difficult to know the precise date because I'm unsure which version of the toy came first or in what year it was released.  Was it the one I just bought, which required a few small parts being slotted into place, or was it the one which came already assembled in a larger window box?

The manufacturer was LP Toys, and if the window boxed version was first, maybe switching to a smaller box and having the customers attach a few pieces themselves was a way of reducing production costs.  Or, if the reverse, perhaps pieces were breaking while being slotted in, leading to complaints from parents and returns to shops and then to the manufacturer.  Also, maybe it was thought sales would improve if kids could actually see the toy in a window box, with all pieces already attached.  A choice of two scenarios regarding which one came first, but will we ever know?

And were the pieces (reindeer head, tail, tree, sack) attached the same way in both versions, or did the pre-assembled one employ a more secure method of attachment than the smaller boxed one, which seems a bit fragile in that regard?  If anybody out there knows, feel free to fill me in on the details.  Anyway, as I said, the toy has never been played with, which means I'm the first owner to attach the pieces since the Blimp was made back in the '60s.  I know I owned my original one no later than 1968, but I've never been able to shake the feeling that I got it earlier, possibly '66.

Before                                                                                        After

As you can see in the accompanying photos, in common with many toys made in Hong Kong in the '60s, the paint job on mass-produced items wasn't always applied with any particular neatness.  Although the Blimp had never been played with (the reindeer head, tail, etc., were still untouched in their bags), Santa's beard, gloves and fur trim hadn't been painted with much precision.  I therefore gave them a minor 'retouching' to improve their appearance, but didn't go overboard so as to retain their '60s 'spirit'.  Take a look and compare the 'before and after' photos.

Collectors who believe that things should be left in their original state, even if imperfect, will be aghast, but I prefer to put my personal 'stamp' on a toy (when 'corrective' work is required) so that it then becomes mine, as opposed to a generic example of its kind.  I wouldn't advise just anyone to try it, but I'm handy with a brush (as you'll know if you've seen my painted model kits on the blog) and I'm of the opinion that if some 'remedial' tinkering improves the visual appearance of a toy then it's worth it.  Judge for yourselves whether I was successful in my aim.

What do fellow collectors think?  Leave untouched whatever the condition - or repair, restore, or improve if you can do it to a high standard? 

2 comments:

Terranova47 said...

Thank you for this post, I was afraid we would not have more space blimp.

Kid said...

How could I deprive you all of a bit of Blimp, T47? There was another post after this one as well.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...