Saturday 27 June 2020

IS YOUR HEART STILL A FIREBALL...?


Images copyright relevant owner

Around 40 years ago, I managed to obtain replacements for the two copies of the 45 rpm single of FIREBALL that had been part of the family record collection since I was a child until only a few short years previously.  Therefore, the interval between the originals (which had been dispensed with due to damage) and their replacements wasn't much of a span, with the result that whenever I look at them today, it doesn't feel as if there was ever a period when I was without them.

Then, around a quarter of a century ago, someone lent me their Extended Play version of the record along with its picture sleeve.  This single had four themes (two each side), so I taped them onto a cassette and had the sleeve photocopied, then made a couple of 'facsimile' covers.  Since then, I've stored my two singles inside their respective replica sleeves, even though they were short of the full complement of themes listed on the track list.


The plot now thickens.  A couple or so years back I saw another copy of the record (not the EP) listed on eBay, this one sporting what the seller claimed was the 'original' first pressing blue label (the other singles had black labels, same as my childhood copies), so I bought it.  This now meant I had three singles of the same theme, and it occurred to me that it would be nice if they each had an appropriate paper picture sleeve to store them in.


So a couple of nights ago I scanned one of my homemade replica EP sleeves and used digital technology to remove references to the extra two tracks, along with anything else that would betray the fact that it wasn't designed for the two-track single.  The first two accompanying images are of the sleeve in its pre-altered state, followed by a second two showing the 'customised' result.  When I remember where I stored the cassette recording of the EP I'll transfer it onto CD, then make a CD-sized copy of the unaltered sleeve, but that's a project for the future.

In the meantime, paste your pulsating peepers on the rip-roaring results of my handiwork - visual testimony of my creativity, and the reason why I often astound myself with the exceptionally high standard I usually achieve in all my chosen endeavours.  Combined with my modesty and humility (to say nothing of my good looks), that's a pretty potent combination.  Hey, why are you all laughing?

I've since added the single's number to the top corner

And below, because you demanded it (you didn't?  Then who did?), both tracks on the single.  (Incidentally, DON SPENCER didn't provide the speaking voice of STEVE ZODIAC on the TV show - that was PAUL MAXWELL.) 


4 comments:

rob diablo said...

Great work kid, those sleeves look brill

Kid said...

Thanks, RD. I think so too.

Mike said...

The two tracks on the flip side of the EP were available as a separate single, credited to The XL5. https://www.discogs.com/The-XL5-XL5-Zero-G/release/7695995
That EP sleeve is gorgeous, btw. Not sure I've ever seen it before.

Kid said...

The front photo is rather well known and often used, M. It turned up on at least one TV21 cover, and I have a framed copy on my wall that I took from a calendar around 35 years ago. The back pic is also oft seen, but you're right - it IS a gorgeous sleeve. I knew about the single you mention and there's also another one by Barry Gray and his Spacemakers with Fireball on Side A, sung by Gerry Grant, and Zero G on Side B, with the voices of Steve, Venus & Robert the Robot.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...