Thursday 30 April 2020

WHEN SUGAR WASN'T A DIRTY WORD...


Copyright relevant owner

Remember the 1969 song 'SUGAR SUGAR' by The ARCHIES?  In 1977, the famous HONEY MONSTER released a cover version of it, but don't ask me what position it reached in the charts 'cos I don't have a Scooby.  (Did a quick search, but could find no info.)  I bought it though, and still have the single in the same condition as when I acquired it back in '77, cover and all.  Was doing some shifting about in one of my rooms earlier and rediscovered it in a box along with a pile of other singles, and thought you might like to see it.

SUGAR PUFFS was first launched by QUAKER OATS back in 1957 with JEREMY The BEAR as mascot, but Honey Monster replaced him around 1976/'77 (sources vary).  At first, Jeremy was a cartoon bear, but eventually a real one was used, though apparently it ripped its keeper's arm off.  That's maybe why the decision was made to bring Honey in.  The owner of the cereal - as well as its name - has changed more than once over the years, but it's reassuring to still see Honey's face staring out from the supermarket shelves whenever I'm doing my shopping (only on the servants' day off, mind) after all these years.  Long may it be so. 


And below is Honey Monster with actor HENRY McGEE (comedian BENNY HILL's sidekick) in a 1976 TV ad for Sugar Puffs, these days known as Honey Monster Wheat Puffs.  (Note that, in the ad, Jeremy The Bear still adorns the box as mascot.  That would soon change as Honey's popularity increased.)


And just in case you were wondering how the song sounded as performed by Honey Monster, below is another TV ad of an earlier 'customised' version of it, which proved so popular it led to the release of the 1977 single - though featuring the original 1969 lyrics, not the amended ones in the ad.  Catchy, eh?

4 comments:

Colin Jones said...

I don't remember either of those ads but I must have seen them as I definitely remember the slogan "Tell 'em about the honey, Mummy" but I'm surprised that Honey Monster didn't appear until circa 1976 as I thought he was around well before that. I don't remember Jeremy the Bear at all.

Kid said...

They used a picture of a realistic bear for many years (can't remember if it was a painting or a photo) driving a train, so I'm not sure when the cartoon version of Jeremy returned, CJ. As you can see from the ads, Jeremy still appeared on the boxes after the Honey Monster was used on TV, but he proved so popular with kids that he eventually took the bear's place. Looks like Honey Monster might be consigned to the back of the boxes (if not oblivion) as there's calls to remove 'cartoon' characters from cereal boxes because of their appeal to kids, and our Nanny state says that cereals contain too much sugar. (As does The Apprentice, but you don't see him being banned.)

Monopode said...

I loved the Honey Monster (a close second to Tony the Tiger) and thought him calling Henry McGee, ‘mummy’ was hilarious. I hated Sugar Puffs though. I got my sugar rush from Frosties and Golden Nuggets.

The single escapes me. No memory of it whatsoever and my parents bought no end of records including novelties. They certainly had Sugar Sugar.

You have a very interesting blog, Kid.

Kid said...

I think so too, M, but would you believe that there are those who think my blog's a pile of p*sh? What's wrong with them?

Yeah, the Honey Monster - a true modern icon. It's not his fault that Donald Trump had tried to model himself after HM, looks-wise.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...