Tuesday 24 March 2020

CRIVENS' CLASSIC COMIC COVERS - SUPERMAN #279...

Copyright DC COMICS.  Cover art NICK CARDY

I've asked this question numerous times before, but I'll ask it again anyway - just where do the years go to?  Following my recent acquisition of a replacement for my long-gone issue of SUPERMAN #268, I decided to get the follow-up tale to Supes' team-up with BATGIRL, namely issue #279.  Again, this is one I originally had back in 1974, a whopping 46 years ago while I was yet a schoolboy, but when it arrived a short while ago today, the decades melted away as if they'd never been upon the mere sight of it.

Just finished reading it, and it was a pleasantly entertaining tale, as was The FABULOUS WORLD Of KRYPTON back-up strip.  And as with #268, I remember where I was when I first read this mag, and the vanished world of my youth reappeared, resurrected as if by magic from the mists of time.  Such experiences are relatively short-lived until reality again intrudes, but can always be revived at a later date whenever the fancy takes me.  Who needs a TARDIS when we have old comic-books, eh?  (Don't get me wrong though - a TARDIS would be nice.)

Did you have this ish back in the day?  If so, what personal memories does it conjure up for you, faithful Crivs?  Let loose in the captivating comments section - and don't worry, it's a completely Coronavirus-free area.

13 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Never had this issue as I think by 1974 I wasn't into Superman comics anymore, which is strange as only a year and a bit earlier (around around 1972/3) I was a massive fan of that comic - strange how things can change in such a short period of time. Saying that I always really liked that cover (Mr Cardy I assume) and would certainly pick it up if I saw it (for a decent price)

Kid said...

I suspect, McS, that once Curt Swan's art was no longer being inked by Murphy Anderson, then Superman lost his shine to a lot of readers. Curt was a good solid storyteller, but Murphy was like Joe Sinnott on Jack Kirby's pencils, and great as Curt was, Murphy made him better.

Kid said...

Oh, and no need to assume in the case of Cardy, McS. He signed the cover and I credited him under it. You're reading this blog on your 'phone again, aren't you?

McSCOTTY said...

I never though of that but I think your right as I do recall as a kid (teenager)thinking that the art had lost its appeal. As much as Curt Swan was an amazing artist with Anderson they were indeed exceptional

Kid said...

DC even had a name for the team - Swanderson. Says it all, eh?

rob diablo said...

While i was collecting Comics at the time, mainly American Marvel, i never bothered with DC for some reason, they always seemed inferior to Marvel, well to me at the Time anyway,Weird that, because in recent years I've enjoyed reading DC Especially Superman & Batman 60's & &70's issues more than some of the Marvel ones.

Kid said...

These days, most Marvel and DC comics (with occasional exceptions) don't do much for me, RD. My future collecting will probably consist mainly of old back issues.

rob diablo said...

That's all i Collect and read, i don't bother with new comics at all.

Kid said...

I get the occasional new comic, but it's got to hold the promise of something special. And aren't most covers boring now, being nothing more than pin-ups?

rob diablo said...

I Just Don't Like the computer generated looking Art & Style, There's no Feeling or Soul in it for me, i don't feel like I'm looking at something created by Hand, from a real person.

Kid said...

I suppose it depends on who's doing it, RD. I quite like some of the classic stories when they're recoloured as it gives them extra depth, but some are overdone. Same goes for some of the new mags as well.

Phil S said...

Ooo digital coloring . Don’t get me started. I do appreciate cleaned up reprints and bold bright colors of the trade paperbacks, but I’m not a fan of digital re coloring if you know what I mean. good spot blacks give me the effect of shadow and make an image pop. Digital color with its ability to put many shades of blue into Superman’s costume - in fact makes the image more confusing. I’ll try and find and example but I think you know what I mean.

Kid said...

From what I've seen, PS, some computer colouring works better than others. However, I quite liked the recolouring job on Lee & Kirby's Tales Of Asgard strips as it gave them extra depth and made them look 'new'. I've got both versions, old and new, so I don't mind it so much.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...