Thursday 30 January 2020

STOP MONKEYING AROUND...



A woman I know who often has her nephew in tow often refers to him as "a right little monkey".  There's no insult intended, and when I run into her on her own, I'll ask her where the 'little monkey' is today.  It's a term of affection on the aunt's part, and a sign of ignorance on mine because I don't know the kid's name, and if she's ever told me, I've forgotten.  I've heard lots of parents refer to their children in the same way, probably because monkeys (especially baby chimpanzees) are cute and elicit a warm response.  Incidentally, did you know that if you shave an ape, its skin is white?  (I use the word white in the same way as I would if I were describing myself, which really means 'pink' I suppose.)

Anyway, given the recent news that broadcaster ALASTAIR STEWART has 'resigned' after quoting SHAKESPEARE in what was obviously not intended in a racist way, it made me wonder if anyone would be in trouble for referring to a black toddler as 'a little monkey' in exactly the same sort of innocent way as they would a white one.  Is the onus on us to be aware of every instance in which we might inadvertently cause offence by the use of a particular word or phrase, or is it on those who are prepared to take offence at the drop of a hat to view things in their proper context and not see everything as an insult directed exclusively at them?  Is a black man entitled to feel automatically offended at the use of the word 'ape', when organic evolutionists regard the whole of humanity (regardless of colour) as being descended from apes?  

What are your views on the matter, Crivs?  Have things now got out of hand when it comes to what we can and cannot say?  Do you think Alastair Stewart was right to resign, or did he get the sh*tty end of the stick in this instance?  The comment section awaits - if you dare.

******

No takers so far.  Is this an indication that people are wary about commenting on controversial issues for fear of being branded racist or bigoted, or are all my regular readers far too busy out enjoying themselves to comment?  I await with interest.

7 comments:

TC said...

It's impossible to be aware of every instance in which we might cause offense when there are 14,673 genders, 79,843 pronouns, and even the most innocent remark can be arbitrarily designated as racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, xenophobic, blah blah blah.

And even if by some miracle you could always use politically correct terminology, the SJWs will move the goalpost and still take offense. Everything that is not overtly racist (sexist, homophobic, whatever) is a covert "microaggression."

The professional grievance industry can never be satisfied or appeased. They will always invent new grievances to justify their sinecures. Because grievances, real or imagined, can be redeemed for cash and prizes.

Gene Phillips said...

Well, I'm guessing that expressing my opinion on this subject won't cause anyone to think the worse of me, since whenever I've called people on bad logic, I get called a racist, a sexist, or both.

I hadn't heard of the controversy until reading your post. The first online essay I happened to check out definitely sided with Stewart, mentioning both that his online antagonist Shapland had made racist anti-white statements on many occasions and that at least one of Stewart's Asian colleagues believed him to be supportive of non-white talent.

To answer one of your questions, it does seem to be the case that ignorance of a micro-aggression is never an excuse. Here in the States we saw a comparable parallel to Stewart's "angry ape" remark. Actress Roseanne insulted a former political figure, one Valerie Jarrett, by comparing her looks to those of an ape. It was an immature sort of insult, but Roseanne claimed that she was unaware that Jarrett was of Black American extraction. I tend to believe her, given that if I'd seen Jarrett without knowing any better, I wouldn't have known either. But for making an "ape" reference, Roseanne was pilloried, and even this year she's still getting static over the incident.

Kid said...

TC and GP, there used to be a boy in my class at primary school, who (I kid you not) was the double of Huckleberry Hound. No, he didn't have blue skin, a tail, or black ears, but there was something about his expression that just conjured up HH to me. I don't think I ever mentioned the resemblance to him, but I wonder if I had, would I be considered as having insulted him for comparing him to a dog. (Even a likeable, well-loved, polite dog that Huckleberry was.)

Some people use the cry of 'racism' as a way to beat 'whitey' over the head with a stick, and keep us off-balance in some kind of 'power-play' agenda. I'm quite sure that racism occurs more often than I know of, but I'm equally sure that it doesn't happen as often as some people like to imagine. Isn't it odd that the people who are most obsessed with the subject of colour are often people of colour? Of course, plenty 'white' people also jump aboard the bandwagon in a desire to prove how 'inclusive' and 'liberally-minded' they are.

Thank you both for such interesting, well-observed comments.

Anonymous said...

I believe Stephen Fry on QI said that offence is taken...not given. But unfortunately that seems to only go one way in reality! We need not agree with everything that everyone says, thinks or believes...but many people seem to take great joy from finding offence in every little thing! Sad times we live in!

TG

Kid said...

Too true, TG (I still prefer TL). Wise words from Stephen Fry, but considering he's been known to disappear from Twitter when someone disagrees with him, he strikes me as someone who's quick to take offence himself. Having said that, he's bi-polar, so that perhaps explains (and excuses?) his occasional moodiness.

Phil S said...

It totally depends . Does the person have a history of racist comments? Does the person have an ignorance of racial history ? Does the person really not understand calling a black person a money have not racial component? Does the person live on this planet? So my answer is - it depends. Normally I would say one comment means you’re just not paying attention. Unless it’s blatant know what I mean .

Kid said...

Well, certainly Alastair Stewart has no history of racist comments, PS, and the quote from Shakespeare isn't meant in a racist way. Thing is, a black friend and colleague of AS made the point that she calls her son a 'little monkey' and she certainly isn't being racist. (Hadn't read that when I wrote my post - don't think her comments had been reported yet.) I think some people are just too quick to see racism where it doesn't exist. Google Alastair Stewart and read the story - I'd be interested in your thoughts once you've acquainted yourself with the details.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...