Thursday 14 November 2019

SPECTRUM IS GREEN...


Semi-regular commenter McSCOTTY mentioned TIMPO toys recently, and it reminded me that I really should add some to my collection of 'stuff'.  The only Timpo figure I own is the CAPTAIN SCARLET one from the '60s.  I think that there were at least three different figures (Scarlet, CAPTAIN BLUE, and COLONEL WHITE), but there may have been a fourth one, LIEUTENANT GREEN, as well.  They were all in the same position and had the same face, with only the colours differing, but they were great little figures - wish I had more than just one.  They turned at the head and waist, but could hardly be called 'action figures'.

In the early '90s, four SPECTRUM figures (makers unknown) were given away with a cereal, I think by KELLOGG'S, though I'm not sure.  They had no moveable parts and were moulded onto little bases, but, again, were nice little collectables.  A good many years ago, I acquired the Scarlet figure for a mere 50p at a market somewhere, and then a year or two ago, I acquired the full set of four on eBay, and am very pleased to have them.  They happily agreed to pose for the photo below at short notice (as did Timpo Scarlet above) so that you can admire them, so I hope you appreciate their dedication to duty.  An SPV and SPC were also part of this set - I'll add a photo of them some day.

What Timpo figures do you remember having as a kid, Crivs?

10 comments:

TC said...

Never saw any of these. Offhand, the only toys based on Gerry Anderson shows that I recall were a Fireball XL5 & Space City play set from about 1964 or '65 (I think it was by MPC), and some diecast toy vehicles (maybe Dinky or Corgi) from Thunderbirds, Space 1999, and UFO. Those came out in 1979 or '80.

The Anderson shows were mostly shown in syndication in the US (the exceptions being Fireball XL5, which was shown on the NBC network ca. 1964, and Thunderbirds, which was rerun on a network in the 1990s), so their distribution was kind of spotty, and they did not have the widespread following that they would have had in the UK. So, not surprisingly, there was probably less merchandising associated with them over here.

I do remember some Timpo figures from the late 1960s. Knights in armor, and Western sets with cowboys, cavalry, and Indians.

Kid said...

I didn't find out about the MPC Fireball set until I was an adult, TC, but I'd have loved one as a kid. I've got white metal recasts of the figures though. The Gerry Anderson diecasts were by Dinky, though Corgi have done their own versions of Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet toys in more recent times.

Yes, Timpo were more well-known for making the figures you describe so the Spectrum figures were a bit of an odd thing for them to do, but I imagine they sold well. I'll have to buy some Western and Knights sets before I get much older - soldiers as well.

Anonymous said...

Kid, a belated happy birthday to you - six days late but better late than never :D

Did you know that this coming Saturday (November 16th) is the 50th anniversary of the Clangers debut on BBC TV? I loved the Clangers (still do) and I wanted to live in their little moon (still do).

And November 16th is also the 45th anniversary of me buying my first ever Marvel comic - POTA No.5 (actually my mother bought it for me but let's not dwell on tiny details).

Kid said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, CJ, but ah - was it my birthday 6 days ago? For some reason I thought your first issue of POTA was #4, but maybe you'd said before that you'd missed the first four issues and that's why the number has stuck in my head.

I've got the Complete Clangers on DVD, but I haven't seen any of the (relatively) new series yet, which I hear is faithful to the original. I read something about the Clangers' 50th anniversary a week or two back, but I'd forgotten about it until you reminded me.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the new Clangers either - narrated by Michael Palin I think. But all the original Clangers episodes are on YouTube.

Kid said...

Michael Palin is an excellent choice, CJ - he has just the voice for it.

Terranova47 said...

My favourite TIMPO figures fron the 50's were the 8th Army. The lying down figure firing a Bren Gun and sitting figure behind a Vickers were state of the art sculpts.

When TIMPO switched to the Swoppet style figures the elegance of the sculpts were lost.

Kid said...

That sort of thing tends to happen though, when 'stationary' sculpted figures become more like toys, 'cos then you suddenly have 'joins' that don't always match up so well. I suppose companies always have to 'innovate' to keep interest alive, which is why Corgi eventually became the 'ones with windows', as well as jewelled headlights and opening doors, boots and bonnets.

A well-sculpted ornament of say, a soldier for example, is always going to have a more aesthetic visual appeal than an articulated figure like Action Man, because one is a true sculpture, the other is a toy. Each has its own charm though, I think. Of course, the toys I collect are, essentially, ornaments, because I don't play with them like I did as a kid, but I still like to look at them - and remember.

Anonymous said...

I remember having the SPV & MSV, plus an interceptor? the metal diecast ones

TG

Kid said...

Me still gottem! (The original Dinky SPV, SPC, & MSV, that is. I've got a later Vivid Imaginations Angel Interceptor, plus a Corgi one. Don't remember Dinky doing the Interceptor. Airfix did a plastic kit though.)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...