Sunday 11 August 2019

THE SADDEST WORDS...

                                         

               Three friends were sitting at the bar, by late hour undeterred,
               "Pray tell me, lads," says I, "what are, the saddest words you've heard?"
               "Could they be 'bar's now closed'," says one, "when ordering the drinks?"
               "Or how about 'we're dry', my son,"  the other says, then winks.

               "But no," says I, "the saddest sound that you will ever hear,
               is two words very often bound with thoughts of one held dear.
               See, once I loved a gal so fair - (in fact I love her yet),
               with love that was beyond compare, though seasoned with regret."

                "She loved a better man than I, saw me as 'just a friend',
                and never knew for her I'd die, so I had to pretend.
                Aye, pretend that she meant nothing and didn't hold my heart,
                ah, but lads, the strain of bluffing almost tore me apart."

                "We've all been down that road I'm sure, that well-worn travelled track,
                where we've no choice but to endure someone not loving back.
                Ah, if only she had loved me, if only she had dared;
                if only she had wanted me - if only she had cared."

                "If only she had needed me, as living things need air.
                If only she had longed for me, I wouldn't know despair.
                Another time, another place, who knows what might've been?
                The look of love upon her face is what I might've seen."

                 "Despite my heartache I'll be brave, though no fate's worse than this -
                 to trudge through life towards my grave and never know her kiss.
                 The saddest words you'll ever hear (the anthem of the lonely),
                 come with a sigh and oft a tear - two whispered words... 'if only'."

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...