Friday 29 March 2019

BATMAN RETURNS...


BATMAN copyright DC COMICS

Yes, yes, I know... I've shown this MARX TOYS Twistable BATMAN at least a couple of times before on the blog, but trust me - there's a reason for his 'return performance'.  First, let me tell you about ol' Bats here.  When I got him around 25 years ago (to replace the few I'd had as a kid), he didn't have his Bat-emblem, utility belt or Bat-a-rang - so I made them.  I also used his original, very worn cape as a template to make a new one, and that's all my handiwork in the above photo.  Bats cost me either £30 or £35 at the time, and I considered it a good buy.  (As opposed to a 'goodbye' - to my dosh.)

Around a fortnight or so ago, I saw another of the same Bats figure on eBay with a starting price of £10.50, and with only one bidder.  It was in a similar condition to my own toy when I'd first bought it, though perhaps the cape was just a little more shabby.  "I'll keep my eye on him," I thought, "and see if I can get me another figure to restore."  It stayed at that price until a day or two before the auction ended, when it suddenly went up to £26 or £28 because of others bidding on it.  Not long before the auction ended (an hour or so, can't quite remember) the price was suddenly £211, with the figure finally going for £260-odd.  I never did bid on the figure because, at that price, I'd be wanting a pristine condition one complete with his accessories, not one that required work.  But hey, £260 - that's some serious moolah!

If there's anyone out there who has a spare utility belt and Bat-a-rang for this figure, get in touch through the comments section and I'll make you an offer.  Although I think I did a good job restoring Bats, I'd like to nudge him a little closer to his original condition as far as his appearance goes (no, not to sell, just to look more like he should).  Also, give me a shout if you've got the original header-card (or a copy) for the clear polythene bag in which he was sold back in the '60s.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

€260?? Re-acquiring treasured childhood possessions is an expensive business it seems. I'll just stick to looking at pictures on the internet.

Kid said...

As long as that doesn't also apply to women, CJ, then who am I to say otherwise? Personally, I prefer to have the childhood possessions more than the money. Just to be nosey - what do you spend your money on, if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous said...

Food, clothes, magazines, the odd book, CD or DVD. The usual stuff...

I wasn't criticising what you spend your money on - I get the impression you are quite sensible about money. But spending hundreds of pounds on a little plastic plane isn't for me. I'd rather buy a good quality mobile phone instead :)

Kid said...

Don't worry, CJ, I wasn't taking your comment as criticism, but I'm surprised that you buy CDs and DVDs. Can't you get music and films digitally these days? Same for books. As for mobile 'phones, I think I'd rather have a little plastic (or diecast) plane (or toy) that will far outlast most mobile 'phones these days. Some people seem to view them as fashion accessories rather than a device that serves a purpose.

Anonymous said...

Kid, I sometimes download music and sometimes buy a CD - my CD player still works even though I bought it in 1998. I never buy digital films because they take up too much memory on my tablet so if I want to see a film I buy the DVD. Same with books - I mostly buy e-books but if I see an interesting physical book I'll buy it.

I definitely don't view mobile phones as fashion accessories. I first bought one to make sure that wherever I went I could stay in contact with my mother who was getting quite frail. Nowadays I keep a mobile mainly as an emergency phone in case my landline goes down. I bought my current mobile in 2012 and the internet/3G is almost useless now but the phone part still works fine.

McSCOTTY said...

In general I feel the same way as Colin, £200 plus for a toy I mean come on. Then I got to thinking I know some folk that will spend that on vodka and beer in a month. Until a few years ago I would spend on average £80 a month supporting my team ( ticket, pie couple pints afterwards,thankfully their results and performances have been of such a poor standard in last 3 years that I can no no longer bare watching them every week but I do like the odd pint still and a good meal with my other half and I still would never think of buying an old toy at that price but in context it's not bad and unlike booze he still has his collectable...

Kid said...

Nice to see that you're not a slave to your 'phone, CJ, and use it only for what it was originally designed for. (Never sure if that's one 'for' too many.) My 'phone is only a 'phone, nothing else.

******

Some people will spend that on vodka and beer in a WEEK, PM, and have nothing to show for it but a headache and a hangover. Here's a scenario for you. Let's say that your late mum once had an ornament of which she was profoundly fond, and with which you strongly associate her. You see it's double in an antique shop and images of your mum come flooding back and you'd like to own it to remind you more of her. The ornament costs £300 - would you buy it? £300 is a lot of dosh, but you'd have it forever.

Kid said...

The point being, of course, that some people associate certain toys (or comics) with their childhood so strongly, that having the toy (or comic) is like accessing their childhood again.

McSCOTTY said...

I wouldn't buy it at that price Kid and I already have my memories of my mum, dad etc already, but I see your point, I would probably do what Colin suggests and take a picture of it. If you get pleasure out of these toys go for it, life is short and as a tea total person it's cheaper than peeing it away ( so to speak).

Kid said...

I think there are some toys that I'll have to settle for a picture of, PM, as they're as rare as hen's teeth. In the case of the ornament, just out of interest, is there a price you WOULD be prepared to pay for it? £50 say? Or if you were a £70 million Lottery winner, would you pay £300 then? In fact, scratch that - if you were a £70 million Lottery winner, would you lend me a few million?

McSCOTTY said...

Lol I don't think I would pay a massively I flayed price for anything although it would depend on what it was. I think most things that would bring back a strong memory would be toys books etc my mum and dad bought me . I might pick up the odd toy if I saw it for £5 to £10 , then again if an item brought back a strong memory I might pay more but can't see me paying £30 let alone £200.

Kid said...

Money's just a means to an end with me - if I could afford something, I'd probably pay if I wanted the item badly enough. Holiday abroad? Nah, Space Blimp of Christmas for me any day. Night out with Salma Hayek? Sure, but only if she was paying.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...