Tuesday 20 November 2018

MIKE NOBLE - R.I.P.


Images copyright relevant owner

Just learned (over at MOONBASE CENTRAL) that legendary artist MIKE NOBLE passed away at the age of 88 on November 15th.  Mike was a titan in British comics and illustrated FIREBALL XL5 in TV CENTURY 21, as well as a whole host of other strips in various publications.  Sad to see yet another figure who featured heavily in my childhood depart this mortal vale.  I never met Mike, but WOODSY or SCOOP (from the afore-mentioned Moonbase Central blog - newsflash - it was Scoop) made a point of mentioning my name to him at a convention once, and telling him how much a fan of his work I was.  It's good to know that he got to hear that in conjunction with my name.

I think that Mike Noble was Britain's equivalent to JACK KIRBY (as inked by WALLY WOOD), as every panel he drew had a sense of dynamism about it.  In tribute to Mike, what follows is one of my very favourite strips that he drew.  (Click to enlarge, then click again for optimum size.)






8 comments:

Phil S said...

Sad to hear . He deserved a lot more fame . When you look at the quality of his work it’s surprising no one put out hardcover Tintin style collections back in the 60s sold at bookstores

Kid said...

His work has been reprinted in books of Gerry Anderson strips, PS, alongside the work of others, but as far as I know, there's never been a book devoted solely to him. Hopefully that will change before much longer.

Dave S said...

Those pages are stunning. What a talent, the man deserves more recognition without a doubt.

Kid said...

He certainly deserves more, DS - not that he could ever be described as an unknown to those of a certain age. What an artist!

Philip Crawley said...

Sad to read of the passing of another link to our past, but the work will live on and the enjoyment it brought to our younger selves on turning the page of the magazine and first seeing those images. His style was a perfect fit for the material and gave it a classy and futuristic finish. I am pleased that these artists, well most of them, were with us long enough to experience the feedback from readers who grew up with their art.

Kid said...

Graham Coton drew the first five-part Fireball adventure in TV21, and I remember the impression it made on me back then. Mike Noble took over with issue six, and to those of us who were there at the time, he became 'the' Fireball artist. Yes, as you say, PC, it's good that they knew they were appreciated. However, it's hard for me to believe that when Frank Bellamy and Ron Embleton died, they were younger than I am now.

Warren JB said...

A bit before my time, but I can appreciate the artistry. The colouring, especially the shading on the snowmen, is incredible - is that all Mike Noble?

The story reminds me of something similar (art and story) I once read in a friend's comic annual, way back. I can't remember the details, but it involved a pair of kids or 'space elves' as the heroes, and a planet of ivy-covered humanoids (and at least one ivy-dog) that could rapidly cover other beings with ivy with a mere touch. IIRC they were a little more benign than Klawking here, but I admit the concept and the detailed art freaked me out so much that I avoided ivy for years!

Don't worry; I got better. But ocassionally I still wonder what that story was and where it was printed. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

Kid said...

Yup, all Mike Noble, WJB. And what you're looking at is the 1990s published result from scans of the 1960s TV21 comics, so you're seeing 3rd generation copies of the pages. Still hold up well, eh?

The story you mention doesn't ring a bell with me, but perhaps another Criv-ite might be able to help. Anyone remember it?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...