Saturday 7 October 2017

YOU CAN'T MAKE A MONKEY OUT OF MICKEY - 'COS HE ALREADY IS ONE...


Image copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd 

The famous Oor WULLIE from The SUNDAY POST introduces #649 of The TOPPER, wherein MICKEY The MONKEY gets up to his usual antics in order to amuse the readers.  Once again, DUDLEY D. WATKINS shows many of today's lesser artists how it's done, with clear, simple storytelling that doesn't induce a headache trying to figure out what's going on.  When I acquired this comic many years ago, it was folded in half (like The BEEZER in the previous post), so you'll have to forgive the crease in the middle of the cover, and the rippling shadows resulting from it.

4 comments:

steve said...

I was mainly a Topper reader rather than the Beezer as a boy in the 60,s.My favourites were Lip McCoy The Flying Boy and Figaro

Kid said...

Ah, Figaro - now there was a character. Liked him myself. Not sure whether I recall Lip McCoy or not, but I'll know when I see the strip.

Dave S said...

One of my earliest memories of primary school is wandering around the playground on my own re-enacting a Nick Kelly story from the 1981 Topper annual. I can remember almost the exact place I was standing when I gazed skyward and said 'Airship crooks, Mr Kelly', just like Kelly's assistant had done in the strip. Still have that annual too, and I still remember that day whenever I look at it.

Kid said...

I re-enacted the Thor versus Hercules battle with a neighbour, Stuart Munn, in the playground of my nearby primary school, either on a weekend or school holiday, after reading it in the 1968 Fantastic Summer Special. Just like you, DS, whenever I look at it, I remember that day. The school (and its playground), alas, were demolished around 3 or 4 years back.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...