Monday 8 December 2014

THE GIRL AND HER UNCLE AFFAIR...


Images copyright relevant owner

To be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure who the artist is of this GIRL From U.N.C.L.E. strip from the 1968 LADY PENELOPE Annual.  My first thought was Spanish artist ENRIQUE BADIA ROMERO, who drew (amongst many other things) the MODESTY BLAISE and AXA newspaper strips.  However, it could well be another artist with a similar style - anyone know for sure?

******

Having enlarged the pages for further study. I'm now pretty sure the artist is Romero.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I think you're right on the money with Romero, he has a pretty distinctive style. Too bad the art is 'blessed' with the over-zealous colouration that the medium was forced to work with. Good to see this though.

Kid said...

The thing that momentarily confused me, Phil (aside from my failing eyesight), was that his style as I'm used to it is (as you say) extremely distinctive, but it appears less distinctive in some panels than others. I lettered a few strips he did for Battle Action Force back in the mid or late '80s.

DeadSpiderEye said...

The colour is criminal, it's not just the execution, it's the waste of forking out for 4 colour gravure, what where they thinking?

Kid said...

It would be interesting to know if Romero coloured it himself or it was done 'in staff'. The colour in the TV21 and related Annuals was never up to much compared to the weekly comics, but I've seen far worse than this one, DSE.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...