Tuesday 25 April 2017

PART FIFTY OF FAVOURITE COMICS OF THE PAST - SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND LOIS LANE #105...


Images copyright DC COMICS

I well remember the day I purchased the above mag (along with various others) from a local newsagent's, and sitting on a bench in the Old Village quarter of my town to read it.  If it wasn't on a Saturday I bought it, it would've been on a week-day during the school summer holidays, and I find myself annoyed at now no longer being able to recall with my customary precision.  Once, I could also have told you what other comics I got along with it, but, alas, no longer.  I have a notion that an issue of MISTER MIRACLE might have been among the pile, but I could be mixing two different days together, as I often sat in the same spot to peruse my comics when I got them.

It goes without saying, of course (but I'll say it anyway), that I immediately fell in love with The THORN.  It might have been her skimpy leather outfit, but she fully captured my adolescent adoration and was instantly added to the lengthening list of my favourite fantasy 'comicbook cuties'.  The newsagent's shop where I bought this four-colour treasure exists only in memory these days (like so many hallowed haunts of my youth), but in my mind, I'm still able to revisit its cool interiors and relive happy moments from the past.  If there's an afterlife, perhaps all our cherished places will be there waiting for us, like old friends we haven't seen in an age.

Does this mag hold any memories for you, dear reader, and does it take you back to a moment in time you'd love to live again?  If so, share your pleasant reminiscences with all your Crivvie chums in our eagerly-awaiting comments section.  A memory shared is a memory spared from oblivion, so get your typing fingers tapping now.  We look forward to your input.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only recent memories for me when I purchased it a couple of years ago! Nice art. As a matter of interest Kid do you have an example of the original Thorn from 1947? To me Thorn and Firehair look like sisters!

Terence

Kid said...

I'm sure I've got a reprint of one of the strips from the '40s in a comic somewhere, T, but I have no idea which one it is. That's something for me to keep an eye out for and add to this post when I find it. Dunno when that'll be 'though.

baggsey said...

My Lois Lane collection only spans the period of the 1971-1972 25-cent issues, but a title like “Death House Honeymoon” deserves a good read. I’ll search it out. Makes me wonder what happened to good story titles in modern comics.

Kid said...

Ah, modern comics - nothing like their '60s and '70s (and sometimes '80s) predecessors, eh? Bring back the old days when comics were fun.

McSCOTTY said...

I dont think I had that particular issue Kid but as you know I also liked the Rose and the Thorn. DC he did a few a revamps (and of course this one was a revamp of the original 1940's character) the latest version turned out to be immortal and had a hand in setting up the Legion of Superheroes.

Kid said...

Didn't know about the latest version, McS, but she doesn't sound so appealing to me. That's the trouble with DC, isn't it? They're always introducing 'latest versions'.

McSCOTTY said...

DC have (imho) destroyed many of their core characters with constant changes for no real reason other than to attracted attention / get a quick (short term) increase in sales that usually result in them reversing any changes a few years later like Hal Jordan as Green Lantern, the Spectre etc (actually I'm not sure if they have reverted back to the original Spectre).

Kid said...

Agreed, McS. I've lost interest in just about all DC characters, apart from reprint editions or back issues from a time when they were the heroes I was familiar with, having grown up with them.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...