Wednesday 10 February 2016

CORPORAL CLOTT'S FIRST DANDY APPEARANCE...


Image copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

CORPORAL CLOTT debuted in The DANDY #990, cover-dated November 12th, 1960, drawn by DENNIS The MENACE artist DAVID LAW.  My first memory of the strip is from 1964 or '65, but it was never one of my favourites. Nothing to do with the quality of the art or writing - I was just never too much into war strips in comics, not even humorous ones.  Still a classic piece of British comics history though.  Enjoy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Corp Clott looks so different here from the later strips - Like you I never cared that much for “Clott” as the character in general just never appealed to me although it must have been popular as I seem to recall it got the middle spread a few times in full colour. I like Davey Laws art style here but much preferred his tighter art style on the early “Beryl the Peril “ and “Dennis” strips – you can see from that style just what an influence he was on other UK artists/cartoonists.

Kid said...

I think my problem with the strip, McS, was that there was generally too much khaki on display, which gave the panels too much of a muchness, if you know what I mean. Law's style was deceptively simple and loose; according to Leo Baxendale, he was a perfectionist who laboured over each page. Steve Bright does a pitch-perfect imitation of him.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...