Tuesday 30 April 2013

SOMETHING EXTRA FOR 1965 - PART ONE...


Copyright relevant owner

When I was a mere lad of six (cue HOVIS music), I recall buying the 1965 TV CENTURY 21 SUMMER EXTRA and committing a wanton act of vandalism.  After I had read it cover to cover, I cut out the figures of TROY TEMPEST and 'PHONES' SHERIDAN in the panel below (and perhaps even glued them onto card) and then had all sorts of imaginary adventures with the intrepid STINGRAY duo.  I recall standing near the back living-room window, near the sideboard, and 'swimming' them past the window as if it were a goldfish tank.  Of the one year and three months we spent in that house (which seems far longer in memory), that's the only recollection from that time which I now associate with either the window or the sideboard.

 

However, pray overlook my sleep-inducing self-indulgence and let's get down to pleasure.  I thought that you, too, may enjoy poring over old images from childhood and stirring up your own memories of the above 48 page bumper bonanza.  Surprisingly, The DALEKS never showed up in comic-strip form in any of the TV21 Annuals or Specials, but they made a 'cameo' appearance on one of the joke pages of the 1965 'Extra', so I've included that here also, for all fans of TERRY NATION's and RAY CUSICK's metal-cased, mental mutants.


Two shillings is a sum which normally would've been beyond my means back in 1965, so I can only assume that a recently visiting uncle or grandparent must've dug into his pocket on departure, in observance of that curious custom where adult relatives attempt to ingratiate themselves in the hearts and minds of their siblings' or childrens' offspring.  Thank goodness for it, is what I say - it was always more than welcome.

Anyway, enjoy the following piccies.  (Then click here for Part Two.)
    










8 comments:

Michael Perridge said...

All that cross-hatching on the first two Stingray pages reminds me of Reg Bunn of The Spider.

Kid said...

Very like it indeed. Well spotted.

DeadSpiderEye said...

Look at the depth of tone in that Stringray strip, it's just fantastic. I assume it's Embleton but I haven't much Black and White around this date or. A really nice touch on the Stringray at the bottom of p1 where the outline is omitted on the yellow.

Kid said...

I imagine it would've taken Embleton longer to ink all that limework than to just paint it as he normally did. Great artist.

Tim P said...

Wonnderful post Kid.Once again you prove this blog is getting to be the best for British comics!!

Kid said...

Thanks very much for the compliment, Tim. Let's hope I can live up to it.

Anonymous said...

*sob* all that...for a measly two shillings


tearfully
B Smith

Kid said...

I know...boo hoo! Lend me your hankie...sniff!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...