Saturday 3 April 2021

SUPERMARIONATION IS GO - FOR THE 21ST TIME...


Copyright relevant owner

Back in the dim and distant days of the early '80s (which, paradoxically, sometimes seems like only yesterday), I discovered a new fanzine publication entitled Supermarionation Is Go! (S.I.G. from #4), which was devoted to the work of Gerry Anderson.  It lasted from 1981-'88 and I collected all 20 issues, though there was one (number 16, I think) that I didn't manage to obtain until a few years later.   Also, I think I had to send away for a couple of early issues, but this was not long after I started buying the mag, not after it ceased publication.

They're tucked away somewhere, otherwise I'd do a cover gallery - but that's hopefully something for the not-too-distant future; in the meantime, take a look at the new 21st issue, published by Fanderson as if it had appeared back in 1989, even down to the date and price on the cover.  (It actually costs £7.)  It's a nice idea to do a retro 21st ish of the mag considering the original was about Anderson TV shows (and related topics) set in the 21st century, and it's a pleasing mix of all-new contents, with some features seeming as if they were written in the late '80s.

Got the first 20 issues published back in the day?  Then you really need to complete the set by buying this new 'old' issue.  Look for the Fanderson link in the blog's sidebar*.

*I've now removed the link because Fanderson asked me to renew my year's subscription after only 5 months.  Chancers!

4 comments:

Dave S said...

Do you know if SIG was published by a gentleman who ran the Thunderbooks comic shop in Blackpool?

I was in there about 10 years ago and was chatting with the owner and I think he said it was, but can't quite remember. They certainly had loads of Anderson related stuff.

Sad to learn that Thunderbooks closed down a few years ago: I bought Iron Man 211 and Transformers 19 and 20 in there in 1986 (and still have them. Won't be parting with them either, despite being in the process of a big clear-cut of books and comics)

Kid said...

I think it was the same guy, DS, or one of the guys involved. There's an article about S.I.G.'s history in the mag and Thunderbooks is mentioned. (I've only browsed through it, not read it properly yet.)

B Smith said...

David Nightingale was the fellow's name, IIRC....there were also a couple of sets of postcards and some posters released (Engale Publishing....N-Gale,geddit?).

SIG was a top little package - the two-part interview with Derek Meddings was the high point for me.

Kid said...

I think they did quite a bit of merchandise, BS, including calendars, etc. Yeah, DM's interview was extremely interesting, as was the two-part article about TV21.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...