Tuesday 6 April 2021

REFLECTIVE REPOST: WHAM! IN THE '70s - NOT QUITE DEAD YET...

Copyright REBELLION

Hard as it may be for some of you to believe, several of my pulse-pounding posts garnered no comments when first published.  Had I lost my touch in the writing department ("What touch was that?" I hear you ask), or was it just a case of there being something good on the telly that night, hence my post going unnoticed?  Anyway, everyone deserves another chance, so here's your opporchancity to redeem yourselves for last time, as I present again the following piece.

******

Weekly comic WHAM! had barely managed to drag itself across the doorstep of January '68 before suffering the inglorious fate of being merged with younger stablemate POW!  At that time, Wham! was one of my favourite comics (alongside sister publication FANTASTIC), so I was none too pleased to see it relegated to the position of support act for another pulsating POWER PACK periodical.


There were six 'proper' Wham! Annuals published by ODHAMS PRESS, the last being issued in '70 for '71.  Strangely, though, the name Wham! survived the demise of the Power era  (and the transformation of 'last comic standing' - SMASH! - into a VALIANT clone in March 1969).  In 1971, Wham! Annual 1972 was released by FLEETWAY, and - apart from the logo - bore absolutely no resemblance to any of its half-dozen predecessors, containing, to the best of my knowledge, not one single strip that had ever appeared in the weekly title.


Whereas the six Odhams Annuals had contained mostly humour strips, the Fleetway version was mainly an adventure book, and any readers buying it because of warm memories of the weekly (or earlier Annuals) must have been bewildered by the unfamiliar content.  Where were The TIDDLERS, FRANKIE STEIN, or The HUMBUGS?  Just where was The PEST Of The WEST?  Gone South by the look of it - along with FOOTSIE The CLOWN, GLUGG and SAMMY SHRINK.


There were two further Annuals in the series, though this time as combined titles - WHAM! And POW! Annual 1973 (on sale Aug/Sept '72) and 1974 (issued Aug/Sept '73).  Strictly speaking, the books should have been called Pow! And Wham!, because that was the name of the merged weekly - not vice versa.  (I guess Wham! received top billing because it had been released first and had published more weekly issues.)


I had originally bought Wham! comic for the MARVEL reprints of The FANTASTIC FOUR, and by the time the last two of these three Fleetway Annuals came out, I was reliving the FF's adventures in The MIGHTY WORLD Of MARVEL, alongside The HULK and SPIDER-MAN, which had once appeared in Smash! and Pow! respectively.


Strange now to think that (unnoticed by me at the time) some of my once-favourite comic titles continued in name for years afterwards - although the superhero spectaculars that had made them so compulsive were being published in another periodical that was now at the top of my comics list.  In my mind, Wham! and Pow! had died in the '60s - to think that an Annual for them was issued in the same years as the first two Marvel Annuals is, to me, simply astounding.


It's similar to archeaologists believing that two creatures were separated by an immense period of time, only to discover fossils of them in the same strata of rock and realizing that they both co-existed (even though one of them was just about to become extinct).

However, that's enough fanciful nonsense from me - enjoy the accompanying images.

8 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I think most people of our age (or thereabouts) that are comic fans have a soft spot for the old Odhams comics. Unlike yourself however my main interest in them were the (amazing) humour strips rather than the Marvel reprints. .I always found them a hard read (to my 6- 8 years old eyes ) as the original US pages were combined into one UK page etc and just looked messy at times to me then (and now to be fair) . I can only recall having had 2 annuals at the time; POW 1968 and my favourite Wham 1967 annuals (although I have a sneaking feeling may have had the SMASH 1967 annual as well but my memory on these things is not as honed as yours) . I also clearly remember when Marvel UK started up in 1972 thinking it was so long ago that I first read Marvel strips in the UK Odhams comics, when it was only about 4 years previous, strange how things like that appear at the time. Smash was always my favourite of the 3 Power comics I bought (Wham! and Pow! being the others) I rarely bought Terrific a or Fantastic as I think they were relatively expense (and wasn’t a superhero fan then).

Kid said...

I enjoyed the humour strips as well, McS, especially Frankie Stein, but my heart belonged to Susan Storm, so I bought Wham! so I could drool over her. (Didn't like her first change in hairstyle though, so my attentions were sometimes diverted by Marvel Girl, The Wasp, and Scarlet Witch.) The resizing of the pages was a mixed bag; the early FF tales were done quite well in Wham!, but Spidey in Pow! was generally awful, as the bodger (as they were called) clearly didn't know what he was looking at and just couldn't visualise what was there off-panel when it came to extending them. Yeah, there seemed a huge gulf between the Power Comics and Marvel UK, but (as you say) there were only 3 or 4 years between them - and we had reprints of Marvel stuff (Spidey, Silver Surfer, etc) in TV21 to bridge the gap. Ah, the good ol' days, eh?

Colin Jones said...

I'm not old enough to remember Wham! and Pow! so I'd never heard of them until I read about them on Crivens.

Kid said...

Which just proves that you should read Crivens more often, CJ - and comment on it as well. It's good for your soul.

Lionel Hancock said...

I had all Smash and Wham annuals back then. Good fun reading .As time goes so do they. Oh well. Been racking my head off here in hospital as to which comic had The Umbrella Men .Was it Dandy or Beano ?

Kid said...

I didn't have all the Smash! & Wham! Annuals back then, LH - but I do now. The Umbrella Men appeared in The Dandy. (Charles Grigg was the artist.) Didn't realise you were still in hospital, hope you're allowed home soon. Any good-looking nurses administering to your needs (in a medical sense of course)?

Terranova47 said...

And I always thought Jeff Arnold and Riders of the Range died with Eagle by 1962.

Kid said...

The strip could well be a reprint from an earlier Eagle Annual, T47. Perhaps one of our team of Crivvies would know for sure? Anyone?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...