Sunday 24 November 2019

ONE FOR SORROW, TWO FOR JOY - THREE FOR A 'FULL' SET...

Copyright relevant owner

One thing I've noticed as I've grown older is that things that didn't particularly mean anything to me when I was younger have now taken on a significance I couldn't possibly have foreseen.  For example, the kids TV show MAGPIE was one that I watched occasionally (probably to drool over SUSAN STRANKS and, later JENNY HANLEY), but I'd hardly describe it as classic television.  The BBC's BLUE PETER on the other hand, sometimes could be, and with the likes of a full-size, real-life ACTION MAN in the form of JOHN NOAKES risking life and limb for our entertainment, it was certainly superior to its THAMES TV rival, which was naught but a pale imitation.

So I surprised myself when I saw a Magpie Annual several years back and promptly bought it.  It was the second Annual in the series, and as the years passed, I found myself wanting to obtain the first and third to sort of complete the 'trilogy'.  Not that there were only three (11, I think), but I have this habit of wanting at least the first three of a series, even when I know I'm not going to continue with it.  It's an offshoot to me of the first three issues of a new comic traditionally being free gift issues (which I'd always buy), and I've tended to apply that to Annuals too - even though they're usually 'giftless'.  (There have been exceptions in recent years.)


Anyway, at the beginning of the week I bought the first and third Magpie Annuals from eBay, which arrived yesterday (Saturday morning) so my collection of them is now complete as I doubt I'll purchase any further ones.  One of the later presenters was a fellow called MICK ROBERTSON, and I note that he's listed as a researcher in Books 2 & 3, which at least meant he had a foot in the door when a new presenter was required.  Reminds me a bit of ALIAS SMITH & JONES in that, when actor PETE DUEL committed suicide, ROGER DAVIS, who voiced the show's intro, replaced him in the role of HANNIBAL HEYES.


Anyway, if you'd like to see what sort of contents these Annuals contained, click here, and you'll be taken to "one I made earlier" (to nick one of rival BP's 'catchphrases'), but in the meantime, you'll have to content yourselves with the first three covers.  Even though I was never a regular viewer of Magpie (which was broadcast from 1968-1980, only 12 years), I now derive a poignant pleasure in owning these books, as they remind me of (and connect me to) a far earlier, more carefree time in my life.  Is it the same for you with anything?  Do tell.

12 comments:

WOODSY said...

Hi Kid, I know what you mean about old ordinariness becoming meaningful now. It happens to me. The smallest snippet from the past takes on a disproportionately importance. Much more so than thinking about the future. I wonder its an age thing, I'm 59 in 3 weeks and look back on my childhood with a form of envy as I would like it back! As for Magpie, I did watch it back in the day. It was always hipper than Blue Peter I recall, the guy with the big hair [name?] being the spitting image of Marc Bolan. Along with Sue Stranks at al I think Magpie presenters were younger than Blue Peter's rather stiff BBC types, although I adored 'my' generation of presenters: Val Singleton, Peter Purves and yes, I agree, the great late fellow Northerner John Noakes. As a horror aside, I was Jenny Hanley in my old Horror Films guide book, my fave book as a kid [the one with the severed hand on the front]. Jenny was in Scars of Dracula! I bet that's on your blog somewhere too!

Kid said...

I think it is an age thing, Woodsy. As we get older with less time ahead of us than behind us, just about everything associated with our youth becomes, as you say, disproportionately important. I find myself not just wanting the things of my youth back, but wanting my youth along with them.

Mick Robertson is the guy you're thinking of on Magpie. He was previously a researcher before landing the gig of presenter when one of the original presenters became the show's producer. Dougie Rae and Tommy Boyd were also later presenters. Tony Bastable, the guy in the middle of the first cover, died in 2007, aged only 62.

There's a pic of Jenny in my Babe of the Day spot somewhere, and no doubt someone mentioned Scars of Dracula, but I don't have any clips - yet. Great comment.

WOODSY said...

I meant to say too Kid that I adored the little chubby magpie animation on Magpie too. I think it was at the start. I miss simple Seventies animation like that. Like the kicking guy at the beginning of The Old Grey Whistle Test too. I didn't know that Tony Bastable had died so young. I'm the same age in 3 years. Very sad news.

Kid said...

The magpie's name was Murgatroyd, and that image, along with the song, are ingrained in every kid's memory who ever heard it, I would think. They are mine. Yes, sad about Tony - I only found out while I was doing some mild research for this post. (Research? On this blog? That'll be hard for some people to believe, I'm sure.)

rob diablo said...

Magpie was the Super Cool Better Version Of Blue Peter, I Think i remember 'Pop Slot' usually on Friday, and usually with Mick Robertson, Featuring up & coming bands..it was miles better than Stuffy Blue peter, at least i though so.
Great Blog Kid,I've been reading it for years but never left a comment, And Hello To Woodsy!

Kid said...

That'll be why I preferred Blue Peter then, RD - I was never super-cool, and the only band I liked (years later it has to be said) was Glenn Miller's. Anyway, glad you enjoy the blog and feel free to comment more.

WOODSY said...

Hi Rob! And Kid, Glenn Millar eh. I keep coming across Bag Band LP's in charity shops: Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Millar, Duke Ellingtin et al. Do you collect records?

Kid said...

Only really the ones I bought years ago, before CDs, Woodsy. I prefer the latter now, and have updated (but kept) my vinyl albums to CDs when LPs are reissued in digital format. Very occasionally, I'll buy an LP from a charity shop, but usually only because I like the cover and don't have it on CD.

WOODSY said...

ha ha, I've sold all my CD's Kid. And hundreds of cassette tapes. I rely on You Tube and my old records and record deck for music these days.

Kid said...

I've still got my original albums, plus loads of singles that I bought back in the day. Prefer the convenience of CDs though. No crackles, hissing, or pops, and easy to skip over tracks to get to the ones I want to hear.

WOODSY said...

I've been listing LP's on Ebay last week Kid. Its a new venture as I have listed LPs on Amazon up to now. Ebay allows me to sell batches unlike Amazon. I need to de-clutter and that means all the TV and film related albums I bought in years ago for my old toy fair stall have to go. We will be downsizing to a flat in a couple of years so lots of things have to go alas. I've yet to start on my old toy stall stock in the attic! It'll take ages to sort out! Think I'll have a cuppa tea and make a start some other time!

Kid said...

I'll eventually have to have a clear out one day, Woodsy, but I dread it. My James Bond soundtrack LPs hold a lot of memories for me, which only tend to surface when I look at them (the covers and those lovely shiny black plastic discs). Once they're gone, the memories will likely go with them. Or, at least, my ability to summon them forth, because the LPs I associate with them won't be around to prompt me to remember.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...